21ft above ground pool wall rusting. Help??

Jun 6, 2014
NYC
Hello i just noticed today that the outside of my pool is rusted and its actually leaking there is a small hole in the liner. Pics are attached. Is there a way to fix this i want to get one more summer out if this pool before new on. Im in new your so our winters are cold could it been the water frezzing? I just dont get how the outside of the pool is rusted and thre a hole on the inside of the liner. How can this happen?
e78bc20ddbbe25ef9a330d7628af169b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you use salt or a SWG?

Wait I think I have it figured out........somehow your liner got a tiny hole in it. That caused the water to come in contact with the wall. The wall rusted in that area. After a while it rusted all of the way through.

I would worry about allowing the wall to rust any more. If it get much worse you may lose the whole pool wall :(

You need to drain the water down so you can CAREFULLY drop the liner in that area so you can sand, paint, repair that area. IF there is any way you can replace the liner this year you might want to think about it so you can take care of the whole wall.

Kim

Thank u but if i were to spend money to replace liner i would just get new pool. I already have new filter and ladder. Its on the top half of the pool how can i even drop the liner that would be to hard for meto do.its a chlorine pool not swg. When i look down the liner from the hole to the bottom of pool i see little raised patches looks like spikes on the liner where the hole is.

If you do not fix the rust it will rust more and cause your liner to get more holes :(

If the rust is on the top half you are even better off to fix it.........find a way to MAKE the liner stay up on either side of where you need to fix the rust-pennies if it is a j-hook liner, clamps if it is an overlap liner, etc. Have all supplies on hand to sand, paint, repair that area. Lower the water and get to work.

Kim

My AGP has a similar problem. The fix is to drain the pool and pull the liner away from the rusted area. Use a wire brush or small grinder to remove the rust, then prime and paint to prevent more rust in the future. If there is a hole rusted through use sheet metal on the inside of the wall to reinforce that area. Attach it with pop rivits and cover the edges with several layers of duct tape. If the pool stays empty too long the liner may not be reusable, plus it may already have a hole that caused the rust in the first place. Here is a link with more info about the repair.

Small BB size Hole in 18' AG metal pool wall

Well the problem is i dont have time to empty pool all the way or even attempt to un latch the liner and clean from inside. Idk what to do. I already drained the water below hole put big patch on tomorrow im going to get sheet metal and jd weld glue and glue the sheet metal to out sode of pool wall. I cant get inbetween liner and pool wall what happenes if liner drops or i dont put it back tight enough. I just want to get one more summer outta this pool.

Does the pool have to be totaly drained out to fix this piece? I can have it drained out about six inchs fro. Liner hole and then i can work on it with water still inside pool?

You may have to drain more water to be able to pull the liner away from the pool wall. If you water is still cold be very careful. Liners are more brittle when they are cold. You will need a couple of pairs of hands to pull the liner away from the wall while you make repairs. Personally I would drain most of the water out of the pool while you are making the repairs. Be sure you wrap the sharp edges of the metal patch in duct tape before trying to slide it between the liner and the pool wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do all your major fixes now while the pool is drained down.

Grtting ready to fix hole in pool today i might have to take off three rails off my pool water is half way down maybe little less then half if i take the rails off will that weaken the pool walls that im working on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.