Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 21ft above ground pool wall rusting. Help??

1. Back To Top    #1

21ft above ground pool wall rusting. Help??

Hello i just noticed today that the outside of my pool is rusted and its actually leaking there is a small hole in the liner. Pics are attached. Is there a way to fix this i want to get one more summer out if this pool before new on. Im in new your so our winters are cold could it been the water frezzing? I just dont get how the outside of the pool is rusted and thre a hole on the inside of the liner. How can this happen?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 21ft above ground pool wall rusting. Help??

Do you use salt or a SWG?

Wait I think I have it figured out........somehow your liner got a tiny hole in it. That caused the water to come in contact with the wall. The wall rusted in that area. After a while it rusted all of the way through.

I would worry about allowing the wall to rust any more. If it get much worse you may lose the whole pool wall

You need to drain the water down so you can CAREFULLY drop the liner in that area so you can sand, paint, repair that area. IF there is any way you can replace the liner this year you might want to think about it so you can take care of the whole wall.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank u but if i were to spend money to replace liner i would just get new pool. I already have new filter and ladder. Its on the top half of the pool how can i even drop the liner that would be to hard for meto do.its a chlorine pool not swg. When i look down the liner from the hole to the bottom of pool i see little raised patches looks like spikes on the liner where the hole is.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you do not fix the rust it will rust more and cause your liner to get more holes

If the rust is on the top half you are even better off to fix it.........find a way to MAKE the liner stay up on either side of where you need to fix the rust-pennies if it is a j-hook liner, clamps if it is an overlap liner, etc. Have all supplies on hand to sand, paint, repair that area. Lower the water and get to work.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My AGP has a similar problem. The fix is to drain the pool and pull the liner away from the rusted area. Use a wire brush or small grinder to remove the rust, then prime and paint to prevent more rust in the future. If there is a hole rusted through use sheet metal on the inside of the wall to reinforce that area. Attach it with pop rivits and cover the edges with several layers of duct tape. If the pool stays empty too long the liner may not be reusable, plus it may already have a hole that caused the rust in the first place. Here is a link with more info about the repair.

Small BB size Hole in 18' AG metal pool wall
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well the problem is i dont have time to empty pool all the way or even attempt to un latch the liner and clean from inside. Idk what to do. I already drained the water below hole put big patch on tomorrow im going to get sheet metal and jd weld glue and glue the sheet metal to out sode of pool wall. I cant get inbetween liner and pool wall what happenes if liner drops or i dont put it back tight enough. I just want to get one more summer outta this pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Does the pool have to be totaly drained out to fix this piece? I can have it drained out about six inchs fro. Liner hole and then i can work on it with water still inside pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

You just need to be able to get your hands inside to the wall where the hole is. I would think about 3 or so inches below the hole would be low enough for the water.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

Ohh ok so the liner wont drop down or anything while its still filled below hole. is this something a newbie to pools can do?

10. Back To Top    #10

You may have to drain more water to be able to pull the liner away from the pool wall. If you water is still cold be very careful. Liners are more brittle when they are cold. You will need a couple of pairs of hands to pull the liner away from the wall while you make repairs. Personally I would drain most of the water out of the pool while you are making the repairs. Be sure you wrap the sharp edges of the metal patch in duct tape before trying to slide it between the liner and the pool wall.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Water is cold but not freezing any more im in ny so the weather is pretty mild now

12. Back To Top    #12

So,are you going to fix this or let it go?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Im going to fix it this weekend now im looking into fixing my siinmer side of pool

14. Back To Top    #14

Do all your major fixes now while the pool is drained down.

15. Back To Top    #15

Grtting ready to fix hole in pool today i might have to take off three rails off my pool water is half way down maybe little less then half if i take the rails off will that weaken the pool walls that im working on?

16. Back To Top    #16

You'll be ok to have 3 off while working.