Change sand vs deep clean sand filter

Jun 18, 2015
Erie, PA
Hello! I have been reading the information on the debate between changing the sand in a filter and wanted to know if our pool and filter is 5 years old with being the original owners is it better to deep clean and keep the sand or should we change the sand? Also is it worth to add some DE to our sand no matter what process we choose? Any help is greatly appreciated! This is our first year NOT using the pool store that we have and doing this the TFP way! Very excited to get started!

I am not sure there is really much debate. The only reason to change out the sand is if you think it is easier than a deep clean. Most folks will find it MUCH easier to deep clean but the choice is yours to make.

Adding a touch of DE is cheap, logical and many, if not most, believe the difference is noticeable. Still, it's very optional and many are able to get crystal clear water just with sand.

Great to hear YOU are in charge of your pool. :goodjob: If I were you ... I would do a deep clean first. While it is true there are some circumstances where sand may need to be changed, particular if someone added a chemical to the water/sand that may have compromised its integrity, it's still good practice to do a deep clean. If nothing odd was introduced to the sand before, it should work fine for another thousand years. :) Adding a small amount of DE is an option, but not always necessary. Perhaps best to do the deep clean first, give the pool a couple days to adjust to the improved filtration, and then see if you need to add any DE. That's my 2-cents ... but I might need some change back. :)

Oh .. PS ... what Dave said above. :eek:

I think we are all saying he same thing, it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. When you really think about it a few bags of filter sand are not going to break the bank when considering all the other facets of pool ownership.

I know I opened my filter to do a deep clean and it looked like a smooth endless beach in the Bahamas. I just scratched my head and closed the filter back up.

Thank you!

28k gal rectangular Inground vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor C40 SWG, Pentair SandDollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5hp pump with a Pentair 3/4hp booster pump for the KreepyKrauly Legend. Using Taylor K2005 test kit with additional Taylor FAS/DPD kit and following the TFP maintenance method. Pool built 2013, new owner since 11/15. Pool care newbie.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.