Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Change sand vs deep clean sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Change sand vs deep clean sand filter

Hello! I have been reading the information on the debate between changing the sand in a filter and wanted to know if our pool and filter is 5 years old with being the original owners is it better to deep clean and keep the sand or should we change the sand? Also is it worth to add some DE to our sand no matter what process we choose? Any help is greatly appreciated! This is our first year NOT using the pool store that we have and doing this the TFP way! Very excited to get started!
    Oasis 18x32 Vinyl Inground 16,100 gallons 3.5 to 6.5 depth
    Kafko steel walls/Vanquish cleaning system/Installed May 2011
    Jandy sand filter with Hayward universal H series H250FDN gas heater (new heater installed 7/2015),90" Traic spillover spa/Wildride slide
    TF 100 pool test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Change sand vs deep clean sand filter

I am not sure there is really much debate. The only reason to change out the sand is if you think it is easier than a deep clean. Most folks will find it MUCH easier to deep clean but the choice is yours to make.

Adding a touch of DE is cheap, logical and many, if not most, believe the difference is noticeable. Still, it's very optional and many are able to get crystal clear water just with sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Great to hear YOU are in charge of your pool. If I were you ... I would do a deep clean first. While it is true there are some circumstances where sand may need to be changed, particular if someone added a chemical to the water/sand that may have compromised its integrity, it's still good practice to do a deep clean. If nothing odd was introduced to the sand before, it should work fine for another thousand years. Adding a small amount of DE is an option, but not always necessary. Perhaps best to do the deep clean first, give the pool a couple days to adjust to the improved filtration, and then see if you need to add any DE. That's my 2-cents ... but I might need some change back.

Oh .. PS ... what Dave said above.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think we are all saying he same thing, it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. When you really think about it a few bags of filter sand are not going to break the bank when considering all the other facets of pool ownership.

I know I opened my filter to do a deep clean and it looked like a smooth endless beach in the Bahamas. I just scratched my head and closed the filter back up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful of damaging any of those delicate laterals if you decide to swap sand out.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Be careful of damaging any of those delicate laterals if you decide to swap sand out.
    And the man with the margarita machine has the key piece of information. The laterals are easy to break.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all for your input! I think I will proceed with the deep clean first and take it from there! Happy swimming!

8. Back To Top    #8

How far down do the laterals reside?

28,000 gal IG vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, SWG (Intellichlor), booster pump for Polaris, Well water fill, Pentair control panel

9. Back To Top    #9

They are all the way down at the bottom. I am going to post a link for you that shows them. you will learn alot about your filter.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you!

28k gal rectangular Inground vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor C40 SWG, Pentair SandDollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5hp pump with a Pentair 3/4hp booster pump for the KreepyKrauly Legend. Using Taylor K2005 test kit with additional Taylor FAS/DPD kit and following the TFP maintenance method. Pool built 2013, new owner since 11/15. Pool care newbie.
    28,000 gal IG vinyl, sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, SWG (Intellichlor), booster pump for Polaris, Well water fill, Pentair control panel