When to open above ground pool in Illinois

Aug 12, 2015
Teutpolis, IL
Just came back from vacation in Florida and brought some warm weather back with me so anxious to get the ugly winter cover off my pool that has alage blooms growing on it. I know the pool wasn't closed properly so will take some work so anxious to get started but know swimming weather in IL is still quite a ways off. Currently have the sump pump working on removing the water off the cover.

When is it suggested to get the winter cover off and start opening the pool? I checked the water as cover has a hole and dipped thermometer in and it read the water underneath at 52 degrees.
I know I want to start before water hits 65 degrees if i recall because of algae. This is our first year opening the pool as just bought the house in August last year.

thanks so much!

60 degrees is typically our magic number. But I believe some others in your area have already opened. Weird season. Your call really. Weather permitting, the earlier the better usually. But make sure that when you do open, it's at a time when you can invests the babysitting required to SLAM if needed. :)

Here in Minnesota, my water was 62 degrees this afternoon upon removing my solar cover to do the weekly brush and vacuum. After stirring the water around it dropped to 58.

~Kevin (MN)
13.5k gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl
2HP Waterway Pump, 200sqft Hayward Element Filter
BBB Method & AuquaSmarte Inline Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit

I am in Northern IL and I usually aim for April 15, an easy date to remember.... Taxes! Yikes! I normally don't swim until Memorial Day, but I open clear and chemically balanced, and then I can just keep it that way with minimal effort. Best wishes!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually target no later than Memorial Day though was later than that last year as I had to replace my liner. Added heat last July so will most definitely be opening by early May. I need to re-stain my deck first though...

Pool Tool - same heater and also a Packer fan living in Chicago! (I grew up here my whole life, but my Dad was born a few blocks from Lambeau so I got raised a certain way.)

I usually target no later than Memorial Day though was later than that last year as I had to replace my liner. Added heat last July so will most definitely be opening by early May. I need to re-stain my deck first though...

Pool Tool - same heater and also a Packer fan living in Chicago! (I grew up here my whole life, but my Dad was born a few blocks from Lambeau so I got raised a certain way.)

MEMORIAL DAY??? And you call yourself a lifelong Chicagoan? That's like giving up 25% of the usable pool season. Given the sizable cost of my pool-owning life, Mid-April to Mid-October is my pool season.

I'm out in Sycamore, so not too far from you Marian. Paul - sounds like you were raised right! Though I am glad i live outside the city, that would make it more difficult. Another Paul, ps0303, inspired my avatar. He was Chicago relocate and added his Bear avatar...

I know I was almost banished last Saturday when the cover was still on and the temps hit 80.

I hope to open this coming weekend. We are a week late, but the lawn mower was broken and that took priority. With the warm temps this weekend, I was nervous so I opened the auto-cover and it looked perfect (except for some leaves and worms...)

Pauls234: Waiting until Memorial Day? Don't you open green??? That's late! Must be the same twisted thinking that makes you a Packer fan.... Hahaha!

You guys are on to something.... as I think back, I guess it was early to mid-May the last few years. But now that I have heat, it will be sooner. I am liking the sound of this weekend actually, you guys are inspiring me.

Marian - I've never opened green thanks to TFP!

Thanks everyone. Above ground with no heat and water is currently 50degrees but it was clear when I took the tarp off!!! Was expecting the worse but clear with lots of earthworms. Hoping the rain tomorrow will help fill it and hopefully fix the filter (that we accidentally messed up).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.