Could this be algae?

HI everyone!

I was doing regular brushing and vacumming shores this morning and I found the jet returns were light brown tinted inside. I also noticed that the water pump basket has the same coloration in the upper middle section. I wonder it this could be some sort of algae?

View attachment 4663020160416_114719.jpg

This may explain an unusual chlorine consumption for the latter days.

By the way, my current levels are:

FC: 12.5
CC: .5
TA: 80
CH: 100
CYA: 20

I expect a lot of bathers this weekend so I decided to use some extra bleach last night.

I've been reading a lot about algae but never seen it in real life.

Also as you might see here, I've lost some of the small pieces of venetian tile, some of the white space have turned either brown or black, could this mean algae too?

20160416_120103.jpg

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance for your commments.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems the inlet jet photo did not show correctly. Here it is:

20160416_114910.jpg

It certainly could be. While most relate algae to just green, it can take-on different forms and shades. It's good that you are still at SLAM FC level and working to remedy the issue. Remember, with a CYA of 20, and SLAM level of 10, it is still safe for swimmers. If yo go over the FC of 10, not so good. :) But you don't have to let the FC drop too low if you don't want to so you can maintain the SLAM and still swim. Definitely wipe/scrub all that you can to break it up and let the bleach access the algae. Go back to the SLAM page (link below) to make sure you are complying with everything noted.

Remember, with a CYA of 20, and SLAM level of 10, it is still safe for swimmers. If yo go over the FC of 10, not so good. :) But you don't have to let the FC drop too low if you don't want to so you can maintain the SLAM and still swim.

I am glad that you bring this up. If I understand well, correct me if am not, I still can SLAM my pool and have swimmers in it during the whole process? keeping in mind that shocking levels should never been exceeded. This is important to me, as an option, since I work in a swimming school and sometimes it is not easy to shut down the facilities. It is clear to me that patrons' safety come first at all times; if there is the slightest evidence that their health might be in jeopardy, like when water is cloudy, unacceptable CC levels are present, or such I wouldn't hesitate to keep students out the water while SLAM is run.

Any thoughs?

I would Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae brewing in there.

Yes that sounds good to me.

Unfortunately, I can not perform that tonight, but how about this: My FC level at 10:30 a.m. was 12.5, and my pool is an indoor one with no direct sunlight at all times, Would you say that if I record a max of 2 ppm lost during tomorrow's morning test it is acceptable?

When performing the OLCT, by tomorrow you would hope to lose no more than 1 ppm FC (and no more than .5 CC). Anything more than 1 FC loss then you need to continue the SLAM. As long as there are no local regulations governing otherwise that I am not aware of, we advise that swimmers can be in the water as long as the FC does not exceed the SLAM FC - in your case 10. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.