Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could this be algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Could this be algae?

HI everyone!

I was doing regular brushing and vacumming shores this morning and I found the jet returns were light brown tinted inside. I also noticed that the water pump basket has the same coloration in the upper middle section. I wonder it this could be some sort of algae?

Attachment 4663020160416_114719.jpg

This may explain an unusual chlorine consumption for the latter days.

By the way, my current levels are:

FC: 12.5
    CC: .5
    TA: 80
    CH: 100
    CYA: 20

I expect a lot of bathers this weekend so I decided to use some extra bleach last night.

I've been reading a lot about algae but never seen it in real life.

Also as you might see here, I've lost some of the small pieces of venetian tile, some of the white space have turned either brown or black, could this mean algae too?

20160416_120103.jpg

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance for your commments.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems the inlet jet photo did not show correctly. Here it is:

20160416_114910.jpg
    Pool size: 17000 gallons, Rectangular 5 x 10 mts., InGround,Indoor, plaster with tile finish, variable speed Pentair Intelliflow pump, Jandy Ae-ti heat pump, Hayward Pro Series 24" Sand filter with multiport valve. Pentair Rainbow test kit & FAS-DPD TF test kit. Pool was built in 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could this be algae?

It certainly could be. While most relate algae to just green, it can take-on different forms and shades. It's good that you are still at SLAM FC level and working to remedy the issue. Remember, with a CYA of 20, and SLAM level of 10, it is still safe for swimmers. If yo go over the FC of 10, not so good. But you don't have to let the FC drop too low if you don't want to so you can maintain the SLAM and still swim. Definitely wipe/scrub all that you can to break it up and let the bleach access the algae. Go back to the SLAM page (link below) to make sure you are complying with everything noted.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Does the brown color around that eyeball return brush off?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Does the brown color around that eyeball return brush off?
    I would say yes, I could remove some of the "dirt" with my finger.

I will unscrew the existing 6 eyeballs and wash them in a mix out of chlorine and water. That might correct the issue.
    Pool size: 17000 gallons, Rectangular 5 x 10 mts., InGround,Indoor, plaster with tile finish, variable speed Pentair Intelliflow pump, Jandy Ae-ti heat pump, Hayward Pro Series 24" Sand filter with multiport valve. Pentair Rainbow test kit & FAS-DPD TF test kit. Pool was built in 2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae brewing in there.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Remember, with a CYA of 20, and SLAM level of 10, it is still safe for swimmers. If yo go over the FC of 10, not so good. But you don't have to let the FC drop too low if you don't want to so you can maintain the SLAM and still swim.
    I am glad that you bring this up. If I understand well, correct me if am not, I still can SLAM my pool and have swimmers in it during the whole process? keeping in mind that shocking levels should never been exceeded. This is important to me, as an option, since I work in a swimming school and sometimes it is not easy to shut down the facilities. It is clear to me that patrons' safety come first at all times; if there is the slightest evidence that their health might be in jeopardy, like when water is cloudy, unacceptable CC levels are present, or such I wouldn't hesitate to keep students out the water while SLAM is run.

Any thoughs?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae brewing in there.
    Yes that sounds good to me.

Unfortunately, I can not perform that tonight, but how about this: My FC level at 10:30 a.m. was 12.5, and my pool is an indoor one with no direct sunlight at all times, Would you say that if I record a max of 2 ppm lost during tomorrow's morning test it is acceptable?

8. Back To Top    #8

When performing the OLCT, by tomorrow you would hope to lose no more than 1 ppm FC (and no more than .5 CC). Anything more than 1 FC loss then you need to continue the SLAM. As long as there are no local regulations governing otherwise that I am not aware of, we advise that swimmers can be in the water as long as the FC does not exceed the SLAM FC - in your case 10.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I could be wrong but that looks like metal staining. Try rubbing a vitamin C on a spot to see if it lightens.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, the stains can be removed with the bare finger, so I guess if it were metal stains they would be more difficult to remove.