Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can someone recommend a VGB compliant drain cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can someone recommend a VGB compliant drain cover?

Hi all,

I have one of these bad drain covers in my hottub and 3 children under 6. One drain is for the filter, one is for the jets

Capture.jpg

Bad in that it is not VGB compliant (that's the regulation that greatly reduces the chances of a person being held down by the drain suction.) Needs to be replaced, I have read the articles, seen the photos. Can someone recommend one to me? My pool's main drain looks like this one,

Capture2.jpg

I have tried to determine if it is VGB compliant, I look on amazon and it says nothing about it.

Amazon.com: Hayward WGX1048E 8-Inch White Cover Replacement for Hayward Suction and Dual Suction Outlet: Patio, Lawn Garden
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can someone recommend a VGB compliant drain cover?

Quote Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
    One drain is for the filter, one is for the jets
    Are you sure that is the way it is plumbed? It could be a split drain, which reduces the risk of entrapment, and both the filter and the spa jets run off the same two drains. This is the way mine is plumbed. The only way to know for sure is to remove the covers and see if there is one or two pipes under each cover. They may also be split underground so a dye test may be more useful.

If each drain is solo, you may want to add a SVRS system to the pump so if entrapment occurs, it will shut down the pump.

But as to what cover to use, you really need to measure your old cover and find what fits. All covers now should be labeled as VGBA compliant and I would be surprised if any web site sold anything other than compliant covers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Are you sure that is the way it is plumbed? It could be a split drain, which reduces the risk of entrapment, and both the filter and the spa jets run off the same two drains. This is the way mine is plumbed. The only way to know for sure is to remove the covers and see if there is one or two pipes under each cover. They may also be split underground so a dye test may be more useful.

If each drain is solo, you may want to add a SVRS system to the pump so if entrapment occurs, it will shut down the pump.

But as to what cover to use, you really need to measure your old cover and find what fits. All covers now should be labeled as VGBA compliant and I would be surprised if any web site sold anything other than compliant covers.
    Ok, thanks. Yes they are plumbed individually, not together. The pool is likely 25+ years old. When I drain the hottub completely, only one of the drains functions, when I run the jets, the other drain put a strong suction on my feet.

I guess i could go into Leslies (yuck) with my old drain cover and see what matches up.

So it sounds like if Amazon Prime is selling drain covers they should be compliant?
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless I am missing something it is not the cover that makes it compliant but having two drains to reduce the pull.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Kim is right. To be fully compliant, you need an svrs system when dealing with single drains.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

ok, so a different cover will not help at all?

7. Back To Top    #7

To bring your pool to current safety standards you need dual drains. In some locations you can get away with a single drain and a SVRS pump.

A commercial pool must have dual drains. There are specific requirements for dual drains.

Your residential pool may or may not be required to retrofit to unblockable covers. That's a requirement of state law or local ordnance.

You can shut down the main drain. Most pools don't need them and do fine with just a skimmer. Or install a unblockable cover over the single drain if allowed in your local area.

But you should do something. Just adding an unblockable drain makes your pool much safer.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    To bring your pool to current safety standards you need dual drains. In some locations you can get away with a single drain and a SVRS pump.

A commercial pool must have dual drains. There are specific requirements for dual drains.

Your residential pool may or may not be required to retrofit to unblockable covers. That's a requirement of state law or local ordnance.

You can shut down the main drain. Most pools don't need them and do fine with just a skimmer. Or install a unblockable cover over the single drain if allowed in your local area.

But you should do something. Just adding an unblockable drain makes your pool much safer.
    what is an example of an unblockable drain?

Thankx

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

So what makes that cover unblockable? It does not state it is unblockable. (This is an honest question. I love to learn.)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

First, understand the VGB act has many facets, so saying anything is OK or prohibited is probably not correct when dealing with legacy residential pools. VGB mainly delt with commercial pools, but states were given a "carrot" (read that money) to adopt legislation for residential pools. While the CPSC provided "model" legislation for the states, they could adopt anything, but with this in mind there can be 50 different answers to VGB question for our pools.

In some cases, for a legacy pool/spa a drain cover may be sufficient to meet your states standards. Again, this will be state specific. For this reason manufacturers are probably not willing to put VGB Compliant on the label because there are multiple standards.

Now comes reality. You have small children. You want to do what is safest.

Safest is retrofitting dual drains. Next would be a SVRS pump. In either case an anti-entrapment cover should be added.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know for sure other than product label says it is VGB compliant. My guess is that it has to do with the diameter and the domed curvature of the cover. Some combo of design features that prevent a body part from being held against the drain by suction force and allows water to flow around.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

VGBA compliant does not mean it is unblockable. For a standard solo MD I don't believe there is such a thing as unblockable.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks all and pooldv, my main goal is to make my single drain as safe as i can before I go in and break into it to make it dual.