Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Westminster
    Posts
    3

    Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Our heater was making loud banging noises and shutting down, so we replaced the thermostat hoping that would solve the problem. Unfortunately, when we took the heater pipes out to replace the part the pressure release valve fell down into the pipes and we were unable to retrieve it. We are now running it without it, and it seems to work fine, but we are wondering if this is a problem. Can we safely run it without the valve, or should be replace it right away? What does that part do?
    35k IG, raised spa, Pentair equipment, salt water, built 2008

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    9

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Funny. I just replied to a similar thread. Mine was cycling off and on. I removed the temp sensor that is wired back to the intellitouch controller. They had apparently glued it into the pvc pipe and when I removed it, part of the outer plastic piece fell back into the heater inlet pipe. So i'm a bit worried about not retrieving it.

    Can you tell me which thermostat you replaced? and where on the schematic it was located? or even the part number from the manual? Thanks!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Westminster
    Posts
    3

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Quote Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
    Funny. I just replied to a similar thread. Mine was cycling off and on. I removed the temp sensor that is wired back to the intellitouch controller. They had apparently glued it into the pvc pipe and when I removed it, part of the outer plastic piece fell back into the heater inlet pipe. So i'm a bit worried about not retrieving it.

    Can you tell me which thermostat you replaced? and where on the schematic it was located? or even the part number from the manual? Thanks!
    We replaced part number 77797-0010 between the inlet and the outlet of the heater. That was the thermostat and the spring and costs about $60. When the thermostat came out the pressure valve fell down, and that is what we are missing. It is assembly #8 with no part number on our diagram. Let me know if you have any luck.
    35k IG, raised spa, Pentair equipment, salt water, built 2008

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry
    Pool Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Yep, you need to take the header/flange off and replace that part (by-pass).
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,434

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    You need the following parts to repair your unit.

    77707-0001 Manifold Bypass Valve and 77707-0120 O-Ring Kit Manifold/Tube. Undo your couplers into your header, remove the bolts from the header and pull the header off. You will see the o rings that also need to be replaced and you will also see how the manifold bypass is isntalled.

    Make sure to lube the o rings!
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Westminster
    Posts
    3

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You need the following parts to repair your unit.

    77707-0001 Manifold Bypass Valve and 77707-0120 O-Ring Kit Manifold/Tube. Undo your couplers into your header, remove the bolts from the header and pull the header off. You will see the o rings that also need to be replaced and you will also see how the manifold bypass is isntalled.

    Make sure to lube the o rings!
    Okay, thank you, we were considering hiring someone to do it, but the main question right now is there a problem of running the heater without the part until we get it fixed. It seems to be working without it, and will get the part replaced, but we make to make sure there is not a major problem of using it without.
    35k IG, raised spa, Pentair equipment, salt water, built 2008

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,434

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    I wouldn't run the heater till it gets replaced. Without that part in place you are allowing water to bypass the unit and never get heated.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  8. Back To Top    #8

    In the Industry
    Pool Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,636

    Re: Pentair Heater Pressure Release Valve

    Quote Originally Posted by kdimick View Post
    It seems to be working without it, and will get the part replaced, but we make to make sure there is not a major problem of using it without.
    The heater will work, but you will find that it will only heat to a certain temp then begin to short cycle. It will knock or bang also just before it cycles off.

    The broken part should be retrievable once you disassemble the manifold (required to replace the by-pass).
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •