Adding a drain/waste line

Jul 4, 2010
Apopka, Fl
I want to replace the hose bib on my return? line with a bigger, better flowing 11/2" line. I saw the pics of the one coming out the bottom of the filter housing. I have the same 100 sq ft filter but my heat pump is using that fitting. I have a hose bib in place but little pressure and was wondering if I could use the same line to install a T and ball valve and achieve the same as if I came out the back side of the filter?

The drain is on the dirty side of the cartridge filter. Are you really running unfiltered water through your heat pump?

If you want a drain, it shouldn't be that huge an ordeal to cut a pipe somewhere and glue in a Tee. Seems to me that you might want to reroute things to that heat pump while you're at it. A picture would help us a lot.

If it's just for emptying excess water, think closer to the pump. A lot of people have a Tee at the pump output instead of a 90. The extra leg gets a valve and a threaded bushing and a hose adaptor or a faucet. The faucet lets you use garden hose. A larger hose fitting lets you use a much larger hose. I'll tell you from experience, a 2" backwash hose running wide open weighs a bunch and flips around wildly. It's like a firehose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.