Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AA treatment has turned my pool brown

1. Back To Top    #1

AA treatment has turned my pool brown

So I have had some metal staining last year. Tested via vit c tablet and it cleared right up.

The pool is topped off via a well that has iron and iron bacteria. I try to avoid it but sometimes there is no other choice.

Opened the pool early last week. Got chlorine down to 0 and added 4lbs AA. Stains at the shallow end were gone. Some remained at the deepend.

Left the chlorine Gen off due to cold water [50c] added Jacks purple stuff and some kemtek algecide.

Returned to check the pool this weekend. Stains had faded at the deepend but returned at shallow. So I added another 4lbs of AA and the pool has turned brown before my eyes. The water itself appear clear at least by the glassfull

Chlorine is still 0 (no chlorine source) but PH has dropped to 6.8 expected due to all the AA but it seemingly had the opposite effect on the staining this time (it kind of lighted a bit in places first. It over the course of not even 2 hrs the whole pool is brown)

Any help or advice great fully received as I am at a complete loss for how to proceed

Thanks
    2006 install. In ground. SWG
    30 x 12 vinyl pool approx 18000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AA treatment has turned my pool brown

Well I may have answered myself.

I decided to take a look at the filter. As my local pool store had just opened my pool I assumed that it was pretty clean. Full of green gunk. Got a good idea where my iron source is now. And of course adding AA is striping it straight out of the filter back into my pool. Doh!

3. Back To Top    #3

If the stuff has precipitated, you're sort of lucky.

I did a little search on the subject from last season. Look at pictures in these threads and see if you don't get inspired. If you do, do what they did.
    A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.
    Just got Taylor-2006 Test Kit. Want to verify what I should add.
    Results of first TF-100 test ran on fill water - Page 2
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, good that it precipitated out and moved to the filter. Now you can clean the filter and get rid of it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes apart from the fact I washed so much of it back into the pool . The paper towel method sure looks interesting

6. Back To Top    #6

There have been some posters who have used fiber batting (such as you'd use to stuff a doll or pillow) and homemade filters with good results.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

What type of filter do you have?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sta rite cartridge