Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't Identify Return Line

1. Back To Top    #1

Round Rock/Texas

Can't Identify Return Line

I have an older inground pool with spa and inground cleaning system. I am drawing up a diagram for future reference and have identified everything except one return line.

I have five return lines. They are
    1. Spa Return
    2. Cleaner return
    3. Spa Water Feature
    4. Skimmer Return
    5. ????????

cant identify what number 5. is. Need help!!
    I have an inground pool that is approximately 30 feet by 40 feet in an irregular shape with water fall on one side. Approximately 25k gallons. Gunnite. Has inground cleaning system that is 20 years old and not working. Modification was done at the venturi type skimmer to use a Polaris 360. Pecan trees all over pool so inground cleaner is not feasible even if it was working.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Can't Identify Return Line

Can you post a pic? Main drain?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Can't Identify Return Line

Look around the pool for any mystery ports without a standard eyeball. There may have been a pressure side cleaner at one time.

Or it could be a line to discharge excess water, especially if you have a cartridge type filter.

Ultimately, you may just have to close everything but the unknown valve and turn on the pump and watch the pressure gauge. If it skyrockets, the unknown port is capped. If it stays normal or goes up some but there's plenty of flow in the pump basket and the skimmers, you just have to watch for water movement somewhere. And also watch the water level, if the return flow isn't obvious. You could be emptying the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!