Cracked pool deck by stair railing

Apr 18, 2008
Does any one have any suggestions how I can repair this crack. It keeps getting worse each year and I've been told it's a non-fixable repair. I've put silicon on it to try and keep water out but I would think they should be some sort of epoxy I could use to keep the concrete from falling completely off. Any suggestoins appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2005_3.jpg
    IMG_2005_3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 208
My suggestion...you won't like it, but I would break away the two cracked pieces...drill 3 holes in the solid conrete that has not yet cracked and attach large concrete lag bolts to secure and provide support for freshly poured concrete. The alternative...remove the loose pieces and re-attach with a poly-fortified thinset (yes the stuff used to glue tiles...not premixed, but the cement based thinset...this is the one I would recomend http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100122448

But to be safe, please get a mason's opinion

rtpatter said:
Does any one have any suggestions how I can repair this crack. It keeps getting worse each year and I've been told it's a non-fixable repair. I've put silicon on it to try and keep water out but I would think they should be some sort of epoxy I could use to keep the concrete from falling completely off. Any suggestoins appreciated.

The cracks have started to widen -- usually an indication of corrosion (rust) of the rail sleeve. Without fixing this problem, any fix will be only temporary. A concrete repair professional could epoxy-inject the crack and there are some professional products available that are paint-on corrosion inhibiters (soaks into concrete and forms some sort of chemical protection on steel).

It would probably be easier to remove this area and have it re-cast with a new sleeve.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.