Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked pool deck by stair railing

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked pool deck by stair railing

Does any one have any suggestions how I can repair this crack. It keeps getting worse each year and I've been told it's a non-fixable repair. I've put silicon on it to try and keep water out but I would think they should be some sort of epoxy I could use to keep the concrete from falling completely off. Any suggestoins appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 inground white plaster 3ft-6ft (21,000 gallons) / Coverstar auto-cover / Jandy Stealth 1.5hp pump / Jandy DE 60sf filter / Jandy LXI 400k btu gas heater / Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG / Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked pool deck by stair railing

My suggestion...you won't like it, but I would break away the two cracked pieces...drill 3 holes in the solid conrete that has not yet cracked and attach large concrete lag bolts to secure and provide support for freshly poured concrete. The alternative...remove the loose pieces and re-attach with a poly-fortified thinset (yes the stuff used to glue tiles...not premixed, but the cement based thinset...this is the one I would recomend http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100122448

But to be safe, please get a mason's opinion
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by rtpatter
    Does any one have any suggestions how I can repair this crack. It keeps getting worse each year and I've been told it's a non-fixable repair. I've put silicon on it to try and keep water out but I would think they should be some sort of epoxy I could use to keep the concrete from falling completely off. Any suggestoins appreciated.
    The cracks have started to widen -- usually an indication of corrosion (rust) of the rail sleeve. Without fixing this problem, any fix will be only temporary. A concrete repair professional could epoxy-inject the crack and there are some professional products available that are paint-on corrosion inhibiters (soaks into concrete and forms some sort of chemical protection on steel).

It would probably be easier to remove this area and have it re-cast with a new sleeve.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stever
    It would probably be easier to remove this area and have it re-cast with a new sleeve.
    I would suggest a plastic one

Happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.