Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward CL220 fittings needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward CL220 fittings needed

I have a CL220 inline chlorinate that I only use when I am away on vacation. I normally just use liquid bleach, but need the automatic chlorinator to prevent algae when I am away.
    I need some replacement parts for the chlorinator and want to get the pool opened and pump running without it. To block off one of the fittings in the pipe, I usually just take one of the CLX220H compression nuts, use a 6" section of tubing in it folded over and ty-wrapped closed. Do they make a compression nut fitting that has no hole in it, just to cap off the line?
    In this picture, i want to replace the compression nut and hose with just a cap.
    Thanks in advance,
    James
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep
    Spa: 2 floor drains, 4 jet returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward CL220 fittings needed

Hi James. Not sure if you found a remedy for this one yet, but I found the following thread that shows a pic in post #6 that may help you temporarily: Removing Hayward Offline Chlorinator - plugging holes. Hope it helps. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Pat, yea...I guess that would work even though I d not believe the plastic thread is 1/4 NPT. Enough t-tape would make it seal. It is only temporary, so it shouldn't hurt.
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there any reason you can't just cut a chunk of neoprene gasket material to stuff in that cap and screw it on tight? Shop Plumb Pak 6-in Rubber Washer at Lowes.com
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is there any reason you can't just cut a chunk of neoprene gasket material to stuff in that cap and screw it on tight? Shop Plumb Pak 6-in Rubber Washer at Lowes.com
    No, the caps have an integrated ferrule in them, there is no room to stuff any sort of gasket inside. Thanks though.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm putting a Stenner in, so I needed to block off my auto chlorinator tap. I bought a brass cap at Lowe's, used some teflon tape...it's held with no leaking (make sure to use the tape though or it will drip)
    Edit: I went back and read some posts- I did what Texas Splash linked to in a post above.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

7. Back To Top    #7

Great to know the brass cap worked. Thanks guys...