Starting up pool

bhuels

Feb 11, 2013
I just took the cover off my in ground pool and it is a swamp. This is the first time it's been this bad because normally I have it open before it gets this bad but due to a unusual cold spell it delayed me opening it. It is 27k gallon vinyle pool, so far I put 6 one pound bags of hth shock in the pool last night, today the pool is still a blue green color, what should I next???

I just took the cover off my in ground pool and it is a swamp. This is the first time it's been this bad because normally I have it open before it gets this bad but due to a unusual cold spell it delayed me opening it. It is 27k gallon vinyle pool, so far I put 6 one pound bags of hth shock in the pool last night, today the pool is still a blue green color, what should I next???
First, stop using "Shock" unless you a) know what it is precisely and b) need the additional ingredients. Dichlor and Trichlor are both very acidic and also add CYA. What's the pH? What's the TA? What's the CYA level? If CYA is already high or pH is low, you're just making a bad situation worse. If the "shock" is Cal-hypo, do you need the additional Calcium? Actually, with a vinyl liner, the answer is no. But if CH is already high, then again you're just making a bad situation worse. High CH can cause scale on the walls.

We have explicit instructions on Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

The way to do it is what we call the SLAM process. Shock Level And Maintain. A one-time blast of chlorine doesn't fix it, as you've discovered.

Scroll through some of the links in this thread and look at the pictures. If you find one that resembles yours, do what they did to clean it up.

Lastly, please fill out your Signature. Three years is long enough without one.

I have added 3 1 gallon bottles of shock to the pool, and also some muratic acid for the ph, the pool was green yesterday when I opened it and now today as you can see is just cloudy, have been having to backwash DE filter every hour or so because it keeps clogging up, will be adding cya to it next

Question?? Can I run my pump without putting DE in it because right now I'm having to backwash Atleast every hour?? Will it hurt to not use De until it clears out more, and also can I use clarifier to help with the cloudyness??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not a good idea without DE. Here are a couple manual quotes:
"Never operate filter in excess of three (3) minutes without use of diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is the substance that filters the water, the filter cloth merely supports the diatomaceous earth. Operating without diatomaceous earth will damage filter elements and shorten filtering cycles."
"To avoid damages to the grid elements, DO NOT operate the filter for more than a minute or two without the D.E. pre-coat."

You can check your manual to confirm, but I imagine it will say something close to that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.