Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting up pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting up pool

I just took the cover off my in ground pool and it is a swamp. This is the first time it's been this bad because normally I have it open before it gets this bad but due to a unusual cold spell it delayed me opening it. It is 27k gallon vinyle pool, so far I put 6 one pound bags of hth shock in the pool last night, today the pool is still a blue green color, what should I next???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting up pool

Quote Originally Posted by bhuels View Post
    I just took the cover off my in ground pool and it is a swamp. This is the first time it's been this bad because normally I have it open before it gets this bad but due to a unusual cold spell it delayed me opening it. It is 27k gallon vinyle pool, so far I put 6 one pound bags of hth shock in the pool last night, today the pool is still a blue green color, what should I next???
    First, stop using "Shock" unless you a) know what it is precisely and b) need the additional ingredients. Dichlor and Trichlor are both very acidic and also add CYA. What's the pH? What's the TA? What's the CYA level? If CYA is already high or pH is low, you're just making a bad situation worse. If the "shock" is Cal-hypo, do you need the additional Calcium? Actually, with a vinyl liner, the answer is no. But if CH is already high, then again you're just making a bad situation worse. High CH can cause scale on the walls.

We have explicit instructions on Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

The way to do it is what we call the SLAM process. Shock Level And Maintain. A one-time blast of chlorine doesn't fix it, as you've discovered.

Scroll through some of the links in this thread and look at the pictures. If you find one that resembles yours, do what they did to clean it up.

Lastly, please fill out your Signature. Three years is long enough without one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum. You're gonna need a good test kit as we recommend in Pool School. We'll walk you through it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok I will add more information

5. Back To Top    #5

How about some current test numbers then?

6. Back To Top    #6

Signature added!! Ph 8.2, fc 0, image.jpgimage.jpg
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bhuels View Post
    signature added!! Ph 8.2, fc 0, image.jpgimage.jpg
    ta 100 cya 0
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed

8. Back To Top    #8

Because you have 0 CYA and 0 FC, you probably should get some liquid chlorine or bleach and try the test outlined in post 7 of this thread: CYA to Ammonia

9. Back To Top    #9

I have added 3 1 gallon bottles of shock to the pool, and also some muratic acid for the ph, the pool was green yesterday when I opened it and now today as you can see is just cloudy, have been having to backwash DE filter every hour or so because it keeps clogging up, will be adding cya to it next

10. Back To Top    #10

Question?? Can I run my pump without putting DE in it because right now I'm having to backwash Atleast every hour?? Will it hurt to not use De until it clears out more, and also can I use clarifier to help with the cloudyness??

11. Back To Top    #11

Clarifier is not recommended in your situation. Before you add CYA, check your FC to make sure you don't have ammonia as in the prior link. Just my thoughts.

edit: saw in your Signature that you have a DE filter. Can't answer that one.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not a good idea without DE. Here are a couple manual quotes:
    "Never operate filter in excess of three (3) minutes without use of diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is the substance that filters the water, the filter cloth merely supports the diatomaceous earth. Operating without diatomaceous earth will damage filter elements and shorten filtering cycles."
    "To avoid damages to the grid elements, DO NOT operate the filter for more than a minute or two without the D.E. pre-coat."
    You can check your manual to confirm, but I imagine it will say something close to that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, I didn't know just thought it would keep me from having to backwash and lose so much de every hour lol

- - - Updated - - -

How do you check for ammonia??

14. Back To Top    #14

See the link in post 8 from Marian Paroo.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

Update on the pool!! Currently is crystal clear and chemicals are nice and balanced, still getting the salt level up but pool is so much better than it was 3 days ago!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Have you passed all 3 criteria for the SLAM process yet?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup, I slammed it hard

18. Back To Top    #18