Greetings everyone! First, thank you for this site! Last year it help me tame a CYA 100+ swamp that had been clear for years. You all opened my eyes, and I thank you for getting me off stabilizer tablets and clearing it in under a week without needing to post. You existing info was more than enough to fearlessly DIY it back to perfection.
New year, new state, new pool. This above ground vinyl has been uncovered and off for two years. I've raked three garbage bags of leaves, algae, sticks, pollen, insects, stool-smelling goop, and other treats. Racking the bottom brings up a substantial wave of green, brown, and leaves. I'm guessing/hoping brown is algae coated pollen, which is overwhelming during many moths of the year in this agricultural valley.
The sand filter seems to function smoothly, backwash yields 20-25 seconds or so of green water, then clear.
Small Skimmer basket fills with less than 30 seconds of vacuuming on the bottom. Turn off, empty, repeat.
My Florida pool was large cartridge, so this is new...
Pressure gauge is 5psi off, when filtering, during backwash, after backwash. Suspect broken or issue with sand/filter.
Pump runs smoothly and strongly. One return seems sad for circulation, but I assume brushing will combat this. Frequent wind too, if it helps.
I am impatient and purchased a stand alone fas-dpd. I'll order a full 100XL kit, but I have the time right now to test, add FC, brush, rake, and back wash, retest, re add for the next three days full time.
Supplies on hand:
7 x 73% 1lb cal hypo
3 x 10% sod hypo
Supplies I'm guessing I'll need:
115 oz Muriatic Acid to drop ph from 8.2 to 7.4 (should I go to 7?)
1-6 packets of dichlor to bring cya up ( tested at 25 without coffee filter strain, will redo tomorrow, bring up to 30 from filtered results)
15-30+ gallons of 8.25% great value bleach (if they don't restock the 10% tomorrow morning)
My biggest questions are:
1) is the stool smell okay? To swim in after successful slamming and passed overnight?
2) liquid stabilizer instead of dichlor so I can backwash tomorrow?
3) how high can I keep shock level without damaging vinyl? It already has white at and above waterline. Honestly not too concerned about bleaching it some if it doesn't threaten integrity or have a negative chemical reaction.
4) how low to bring ph at first 7.4 or 7 (thinking 7.4 for margin of error, can always add acid if you think I should if shock takes more than a few days)
5) should I care about the pressure gauge now or just backwash constantly.
6) cryptosporidium... Do you think a SLAM kills it? I've read the cdc hyper chlorination timetables, but that's a high FC for vinyl, isn't it? Idk if I have it, just a tad worried since it seems like that's nearly the only thing that proper FC after successful slam might not kill.
Lastly, if this doesn't work, I'm draining and selling the pool, which is fine with me. I'm only here for the summer. If I can clear it this week, that works too.
Pool store test a few days ago (right after I got here, but after other people had been throwing small amounts of FC, clarifiers, and algaecides at it in vain)
tot chlor 2.6
FC 2.2 (haha)
tot alk 140
adj total alk 132. ( no clue, don't ask)
tot hardness 260 ( don't need to care I assume)
tds 800 (don't care I assume)
sat index .8 ( ditto)
my fas-dpd test just now using 25ml
FC zero zero zero pink
CC 0.6 (expected higher?)
water is is clear when removed from pool
pool looks sold green, only first step of pool visible
when stirred, horrid nastiness comes up from bottom
can answer any questions, will read all links
Lastly, thank you so much for publishing the info that helped me with that Florida pool high cya green swamp. I love you all!