New here from Kansas with liner ID question - used pool, new build

Apr 16, 2016
Derby, KS
Hello forum, glad to be here. I attached a pic of the old liner from the pool we disassembled and brought home. It's an 18'x48" steel side about 7 yrs old. But it was free so we grabbed it up. We started on ground prep about 12 hrs ago. My biggest question is why does it say 46-1/2" on the liner? I haven't been able to find anything online that matches this with new liners. They're all 48" to 54" or something along those lines. Also, have not been able to find any info on the numbers to the left. Was hoping to reuse this liner but it became obvious that it wasn't going to happen when it started to crumble in my fingers. I've been researching how to properly reinstall this pool and I've found a lot of answers but I'm sure I'll have more so any other insight is appreciated. Planning a good sized deck too, and possibly a slide so we'll see how that goes. I'll be sure and get pics of progress. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

46 inches is probably from the 2 inch cove that is in the bottom.. that's all I can think of

Hope this helps

View attachment 46640View attachment 46638Here's a few more pics of progress. Just getting started. I'm able to do this by hand but my neighbor happens to own a bobcat so hopefully I won't have to. Already cemented the three front deck posts in about 24" deep so that's what I meant when I said I may have gotten a little ahead of myself. Planning on getting level, then placing pavers and bottom ring, then spreading sand, then laying foam. Not sure where I'll be at that point. Still working out the details of placing the wall with supports and getting the liner in. Learning curve!

Thanks, I will. Been raining all week. Probably won't get much else done til Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Generally you've got 2" of base material (sand, vermiculite, etc.). For instance, on our 52" wall AG pool we have a 50" flat finish.

Could you clarify on that? Do you mean with your corner foam and back fill you end up with 50 inches of wall?

Welcome fellow KS resident! I'll also be doing ground prep. Planning on the weekend of the 30th. I was going to do it this coming weekend but had details to iron out and getting a liner here in a short time span would be rushing it. And the rain thing too. This gives me time to order cove and such and not sweat getting delivered in time.

Hey neighbors! Good to hear from ya. Got a call from a pool guy up in Valley Center and picked his brain about liners. Now leaning toward the non beaded style. His prices are in the 3-400 range for 18' above ground. Seems to be much cheaper online. Not sure if I want the 20mil or thicker yet though. Still reading up for info on that. Hoping to get out tomorrow and work on leveling a bit more. Maybe all that rain will make the ground a bit more shovel friendly...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bfg: we ordered ours through the Leslie's on east Central, 20mil for $280 and it was delivered in less than a week.
and the rain helped soften my dirt a little, now I just need some time to work on it.

Kim: is there any reason that can't be trimmed after it's installed, or maybe folded back over so the 'flap' is on the inside?

Could you clarify on that? Do you mean with your corner foam and back fill you end up with 50 inches of wall?[/QUOTE said:
Not including corner foam.

We're speaking of three different dimensions here:

1. wall height of pool wall. If you have an AG that is not backfilled on the outside perimeter, this is the height from the ground to the top of the pool wall
2. "finish" of liner. This is the distance from the top most point of the liner (the bead or the hook) to the liner floor.
3. wall height of liner. This is where the term "wall height" gets confusing. When speaking about the liner, manufacturers will usually make it in three pieces. (the wall material, the floor material, and the cove.) Wall height of the liner material is from top of liner to top of cove.

So for instance, the AG manufacturer I work for has a 52" wall height pool, and a stock liner with a 50" finish (base material will come 2" up the wall of the pool). We have a 4"up, 3"out cove, so the 'wall height' of the liner material is technically 46".

Hopefully this makes sense!

Hi Tfaff, Been a while since I've checked back but I am making some progress. Ended up removing all sod by hand so it took some time. What a pain and what a relief to get it done. Will post pics of progress. Still have some leveling to do but I think I'm finally going to order the liner. Plenty of options there. Will likely order online to get best price. I think I'll go with 20mil but not sure. Also have a question in my head about the age of a liner before purchase. As in shelf life. Apparently they're sort of like tires when it comes to aging. Not sure how I'll determine that yet.

20160610_210017[1].jpg20160505_203137[1].jpgView attachment 49907Wasn't sure if i'd ever make any progress on this project. House flooded and all sorts a things went wrong. Hopefully back on track now but not 100% I can rely on the progress I've made. I laid the track on the sand, and without pavers, and set the wall before I remembered that I think I read not to do that. Also, the wall has a spot or two in it that are buckled a bit. Pretty sure I can straighten out the wall problem If I can get the track right but it looks like I'll be pulling the wall back down to back track a bit. Luckily I do have some help as you can see in the pic. :)

I was dabbling with the local photo system and I see old photos that I had to delete are no longer active so I went ahead and compiled this collection of all the photos I have in the build so far. I've made a little progress past the last photo and there's more work to do so I'll have to add to it at some point but, gotta say I'm pretty happy with progress so far. It would appear I can't upload large images for some reason so here's some tiny pics.

Last edited:
Sorry about the image issue. So like I said, pretty happy with the results so far. We were given this pool in exchange for removing it from a yard in Wichita. The woman who had it was lifetime pool owner and she said she was done with it all. So, I decided to embark on a very low budget project. All the dirt work done by had. I spent the better part of a month removing the sod and trying to smooth and level the bottom as much as possible.

Found 120 dollar 25 mil solid blue liner online. Spent 20 bucks on 5000 lbs of sand and hauled it home in that ole orange chevy. Man that thing was under a load!...lol. Spent about 20 bucks on grass killer. Ended up making mistakes and reinstalled the wall twice in order to improve the seat and level. Felt like it would be a failed project. That wall is a bear to work with. Maybe because it's used and had a few kinks and imperfections. The sheer weight and awkwardness of the wall just make it feel like mountain of a task. Also learned how hard it is to make that wall fit and get the tracks spaced properly with good level and roundness. Used the air compressor on the back of the truck to blow out the track while inserting wall bottom.

The liner went on fairly easily. Wasn't able to make the vacuum method work. Slowly filled and worked the wrinkles out. Found out a little late that the liner was off, drained back down and got in the pool to adjust, came out well in the end. Re-used all coping and posts. The post bottoms were bent from removal so I straightened them out with a rubber mallet. Now have all pool parts installed minus the skimmer and return port.

Plan to back fill and add mulch. Also want to try to go with saltwater system. On top of that we expanded the original deck size to make the deck approximately 22'x10' in sort of an odd geometric shape. That should be an interesting build. original plans were to tie it in to an outdoor play area for the kids. We'll see how that all comes out. So, there's the scoop. I'll add more pics soon. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.