Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for Tiered Flagstone Spillway Pool Owners

1. Back To Top    #1

Question for Tiered Flagstone Spillway Pool Owners

Hello,
    I'm considering adding a tiered flagstone spillway to my spa by myself. Is the spillway just pieces of flagstone stacked on top of each other? I know the stacked stone is in the front of the spa but what about the back inside the jacuzzi? Is that plaster or stone also? Questioning how the spa holds in the water when it's raised with just the stone and no plaster. Been looking online for pictures but can't find any that are inside the spa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Davidc21a; 04-15-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Adding

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question for Tiered Flagstone Spillway Pool Owners

I have a stacked stone spillway, and I can try to take some pics tomorrow. In mine the plaster goes all the way up the wall on the inside. The top layer of flagstone is the only one you can see from inside the spa.

And one more tip! If you DIY, you need to be sure to get the top flagstone as level as possible, like to the millimeter. Its no fun when all the spill happens on just one side or the other of the spa opening. Now, the return jet can be positioned to help that out, if the spillway is not perfectly level. But if you are like me, you will be much better off measuring twice and cutting once.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Mark for the great tip, didn't even think about that!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is how they built mine - from the outside

and the inside. If you look closely you can see there is maybe a one-inch tall strip of tile under the top flagstone.

30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow your pool is beautiful Mark! Thank you for the pictures, they are a great help to me!

6. Back To Top    #6

That is beautiful Mark! I was looking for spillways and that helped me too. Any chance we can see a picture of the whole pool and know your poster color?

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! SO glad its done. Except its not... we are still waiting for the landscaping muse to arrive and inspire us. Plaster is Blue Surf, flagstone is Oklahoma.