Spa water level drops overnight - where is my check valve?

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
I've got a raised spa attached to my pool that waterfalls down into the pool. Today I noticed that after sitting all day without the pump running, the water level in the spa had dropped much lower than normal - it looked like it dropped to about the water level in the pool (which is lower than the spa's regular resting water level, obviously).

A little searching on the forum shows that this is usually a bad check valve. However, the other threads seem to indicate that the check valve is usually located on the spa return line somewhere...I can't seem to find on my spa return line. The only thing that looks like what I think is a check valve is on the pump inlet. Any chance anyone can help me it with figuring out where/which check valve I need to try and replace? Is it possibly that one on the main pump inlet?

Below are pictures of the entire equipment pad and a closeup of what I think is a check valve on the main pump inlet. On the equipment pad, the four large vertical pipes on the left are all suction (spa to left of the Jandy valve, and then skimmer 1, skimmer 2, and main drain to the right of the Jandy valve). The large vertical pipes grouped to the right of the picture all return to the pool - in order they are spa return, backwash line to sewer (has the little faucet valve on it also), blower line, two pool return lines (depending on if I bypass the chlorinator) and finally the spa return line.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

I can't see one in your setup, until now the spa level was above the pool? If so it would seem that you have one but for the life of me cant see it...

It does look like a check valve on inlet of pump, which wouldn't help with spa level.
Did you say far right return is also a spa return? Hard to see but that could be a Jandy check valve on it. This seems like where you would want it as there needs to be a valve to stop flow from spa returns to pool returns when pump is off.

You have 2 check valves on the return side of the plumbing. Each one is on the opposite far end with the 90 degree turn and the screw looking caps on the ends.

The one on the far right of the photo is the one that is likely allowing water to flow back into the pool of that's the return valve positioning you had overnight.

Thanks for the responses so far. Yes, the far right line (on the very end) is the return line to the spa.

You have 2 check valves on the return side of the plumbing. Each one is on the opposite far end with the 90 degree turn and the screw looking caps on the ends.

The one on the far right of the photo is the one that is likely allowing water to flow back into the pool of that's the return valve positioning you had overnight.

Those items you're referring to with the screw looking caps are manual valves (may be hard to see them in the pictures but I can get a closeup if needed). I actually replaced the guts (but not he body) last winter on the one on the far right line that is the spa return. Stupid question, but do regular manual Jandy valves also function as check valves? If not, is it possible that the whole system is backing up through the check valve on the pump inlet?

Thanks again for the help.

That is an Ortega check valve to the left of the right actuated valve.

And oddly one right in front of the pump, is your equipment well above the pool level?

No regular Jandy valves are not also check valves. Although they may check valves that are more efficient than the one by your pump.

Jandy style valves when fully closed replace a check valve in all scenarios. Your Otega valves absolutely are check valves and more than likely are the issue. The three way valves rarely if ever leak (if so are easily repaired) and are very reliable. I'm nearly certain the far right Ortega is the issue.

Ah ok, thanks. So the two cap-looking things in the red circles (see picture below) are Ortega check valves? As a sidenote, the one on the fair right has occasionally been making a large clicking noise intermittently since we bought the house last summer.

Pool valves.jpg

Also, the issue of the spa water level happening only happened for two nights - since then it's been fine. I guess that would mean that the Ortega valve needs to be replaced sometime soon?

Thanks again for the help.

Oh and also - yes, the pool equipment is comfortably above the pool and spa water level.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.