Is there any hope of opening to a clear pool with a mesh cover?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I think I followed all the instructions for closing last season (except closed with water at 62 deg). I haven't opened yet, but I will be very soon as I noticed algae is in full bloom. I have a mesh cover, so sunlight can still get in to consume FC. Is there really any hope of opening a pool with a mesh cover and still having residual FC from the SLAM at close?

I believe you can. We had someone who normally covers their pool every year leave it totally exposed for the first time. After a short reconnect of equipment, they cranked-up the pump, dropped their cleaner in the water, and by the end of the day it looked like it was never closed. Levels adjusted fine. Hard to tell what exactly caused the bloom in your case, but with any luck, and still some cooler temps, hopefully you'll get it wrapped-up quickly. Each year is a learning experience. I suspect next winter you may have a couple new tricks that may work even better.

I left mine uncovered and my coworker also left his uncovered for the winter, his is an inground. I did add 1 gallon of 10% bleach in Jan as my fc was down to 5. His got everything under the sun in it (leaves, dirt, limbs, frogs, you name it) but no algae at all, it has taken him a week of SLAM to clear (he has a sand filter)

here is a picture of mine after its 5 month slumber with no cover :) water was 48 degrees or so...
GJ250Crh.jpg

Thanks. I didn't know if it was asking too much to even think it was possible...I might do something like a solid cover over a mesh cover at some point. About a month ago when I checked the water level, the water was clear and I noticed a lot of worms at the bottom...maybe the decomposition of the worms consumes the chlorine?

Thanks. I didn't know if it was asking too much to even think it was possible...I might do something like a solid cover over a mesh cover at some point. About a month ago when I checked the water level, the water was clear and I noticed a lot of worms at the bottom...maybe the decomposition of the worms consumes the chlorine?

Since I started using a tarp over my mesh cover years ago, I've never opened to a green pool despite the fact there's no FC left. Before the tarp, it was hit or miss depending on how cold the weather stayed during the winter....I usually had better luck if I didn't close until late Nov and opened by the beginning of March. Even then there was no guarantee.

Personally I won't go back to just the mesh cover. I have considered not covering/closing during the winter. But the idea of doing any maintenance in th cold isn't appealing. ;)

Oh, btw, when I uncover the pool there are always a whole bunch of dead worms in there....yuck!

I too closed following all the info here and made it almost all winter with crystal clear water. I checked just 7-10 days ago and it looked awesome. Peeked last night and its a dark green monster. On my way to round up some liquid gold now. Darn this mild winter we had.

Mesh cover here. Closed in November opened last weekend. A day of filtering and running the robot and it is perfect to swim in except it is really cold. No algae at all.

Not too sure what happened in your case - it is not at all like my experience over the past 6 years.

I opened to a clear pool with a mesh safety cover (loop loc) that has several holes in it. I just shocked it into oblivion and kept an eye on it since November. Last year, I added several gallons of bleach to be sure. Didn't have to do so this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.