Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any hope of opening to a clear pool with a mesh cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any hope of opening to a clear pool with a mesh cover?

I think I followed all the instructions for closing last season (except closed with water at 62 deg). I haven't opened yet, but I will be very soon as I noticed algae is in full bloom. I have a mesh cover, so sunlight can still get in to consume FC. Is there really any hope of opening a pool with a mesh cover and still having residual FC from the SLAM at close?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any hope of opening to a clear pool with a mesh cover?

I believe you can. We had someone who normally covers their pool every year leave it totally exposed for the first time. After a short reconnect of equipment, they cranked-up the pump, dropped their cleaner in the water, and by the end of the day it looked like it was never closed. Levels adjusted fine. Hard to tell what exactly caused the bloom in your case, but with any luck, and still some cooler temps, hopefully you'll get it wrapped-up quickly. Each year is a learning experience. I suspect next winter you may have a couple new tricks that may work even better.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

A friend of mine has a mesh cover and also uses a large tarp on top. He loves that the tarp protects the water and also it's ease of removal come spring. He usually opens with balanced water. (Residual FC)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I left mine uncovered and my coworker also left his uncovered for the winter, his is an inground. I did add 1 gallon of 10% bleach in Jan as my fc was down to 5. His got everything under the sun in it (leaves, dirt, limbs, frogs, you name it) but no algae at all, it has taken him a week of SLAM to clear (he has a sand filter)

here is a picture of mine after its 5 month slumber with no cover water was 48 degrees or so...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I didn't know if it was asking too much to even think it was possible...I might do something like a solid cover over a mesh cover at some point. About a month ago when I checked the water level, the water was clear and I noticed a lot of worms at the bottom...maybe the decomposition of the worms consumes the chlorine?
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know if it was asking too much to even think it was possible...I might do something like a solid cover over a mesh cover at some point. About a month ago when I checked the water level, the water was clear and I noticed a lot of worms at the bottom...maybe the decomposition of the worms consumes the chlorine?
    Since I started using a tarp over my mesh cover years ago, I've never opened to a green pool despite the fact there's no FC left. Before the tarp, it was hit or miss depending on how cold the weather stayed during the winter....I usually had better luck if I didn't close until late Nov and opened by the beginning of March. Even then there was no guarantee.

Personally I won't go back to just the mesh cover. I have considered not covering/closing during the winter. But the idea of doing any maintenance in th cold isn't appealing.

Oh, btw, when I uncover the pool there are always a whole bunch of dead worms in there....yuck!
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

I too closed following all the info here and made it almost all winter with crystal clear water. I checked just 7-10 days ago and it looked awesome. Peeked last night and its a dark green monster. On my way to round up some liquid gold now. Darn this mild winter we had.
    * 18,500 gallons // 16x32 In-Ground Vinyl (27 mil Crystal Wave Aquaria) // Hayward SuperPump SP2605X7 3/4 HP // Hayward S220T Sand Filter // Hayward H250 Gas Heater // Hayward CL200 Chlorinator // Single skimmer + two return jets *

8. Back To Top    #8

It only took 2 days to go to clear for me, I think I'm getting to the end of the SLAM, so it wasn't bad considering how it looked on Saturday....
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Mesh cover here. Closed in November opened last weekend. A day of filtering and running the robot and it is perfect to swim in except it is really cold. No algae at all.

Not too sure what happened in your case - it is not at all like my experience over the past 6 years.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

10. Back To Top    #10

I opened to a clear pool with a mesh safety cover (loop loc) that has several holes in it. I just shocked it into oblivion and kept an eye on it since November. Last year, I added several gallons of bleach to be sure. Didn't have to do so this year.

In-Ground, Vinyl Liner, Sand Triton II (Pentair?), 1HP Whisperflo?, approx 25K gallons. There is a separate spa (non-functional). Heater is new last year, 250,000 BTU Hayward propane. Pool built in around 1996, liner replaced in last 5 years.