Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does the Bacteria that converts CYA to Ammonia also consume algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the Bacteria that converts CYA to Ammonia also consume algae?

We moved into this house with a pool in the winter of 2014. The pool was closed in August due to the previous owner moving. Upon opening in 2015, the water was quite clear, but as I found out, full of ammonia. I closed last fall with the water around 62 (I had the pool company close for my first time so I could see how to do it, so I was at the mercy of their schedule). I went out to check the temperature today (56 degree water), and it was in full algae bloom. I have a mesh cover, so I don't know how long the FC lasted after SLAMming at close. I was surprised that I have an algae bloom after having the pool closed from Oct 2015 to mid April 2016, but clear water after being closed Aug 2014 to late April 2015. Does the same bacteria that caused the CYA to ammonia conversion also consume algae, or does algae not survive well in ammonia, or was it something else?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the Bacteria that converts CYA to Ammonia also consume algae?

No, Algae would thrive in that environment because it's nitrogen rich, and Algae love Nitrogen compounds. It's like fertilizer, but the bacteria that consume Cyanuric compounds don't adversely affect the Algae at all. You had the right conditions for Algae to take hold is all.

Just open with a SLAM, and let us know if you run into trouble. We'll be happy to help out.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I started the SLAM today. The good news is there is still CYA present and it's holding chlorine.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!