Does the Bacteria that converts CYA to Ammonia also consume algae?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
We moved into this house with a pool in the winter of 2014. The pool was closed in August due to the previous owner moving. Upon opening in 2015, the water was quite clear, but as I found out, full of ammonia. I closed last fall with the water around 62 (I had the pool company close for my first time so I could see how to do it, so I was at the mercy of their schedule). I went out to check the temperature today (56 degree water), and it was in full algae bloom. I have a mesh cover, so I don't know how long the FC lasted after SLAMming at close. I was surprised that I have an algae bloom after having the pool closed from Oct 2015 to mid April 2016, but clear water after being closed Aug 2014 to late April 2015. Does the same bacteria that caused the CYA to ammonia conversion also consume algae, or does algae not survive well in ammonia, or was it something else?

No, Algae would thrive in that environment because it's nitrogen rich, and Algae love Nitrogen compounds. It's like fertilizer, but the bacteria that consume Cyanuric compounds don't adversely affect the Algae at all. You had the right conditions for Algae to take hold is all.

Just open with a SLAM, and let us know if you run into trouble. We'll be happy to help out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.