Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Simple Pool/Spa/Heater Control

1. Back To Top    #1

Simple Pool/Spa/Heater Control

Hi-
    I've got a fairly standard setup. Pool and spa (separate pumps and filters, no overflow) that share a single heater which I'm going to upgrade to a new one. I'm looking for a low-cost solution (other than manual) to automate the heating of pool and spa. Is there a heater that has some timing/control built-in?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the heater start the pump and check the temperature of the pool and/or spa every hour or so, and if needed run the pump and heater until temperature is met outside of the regular filtering time(s).

I'm okay if it can only do either pool or spa, so long as I can override to heat the other manually. I'd likely have the pool heated regularly spring/fall, and the spa heated regularly winter. I'm in Phoenix if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to avoid the $1000+ automation space as it seems like overkill for my needs.

Is there anything simple out there that can do this task? I don't need light control or anything else that the big packages offer.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Simple Pool/Spa/Heater Control

Welcome to TFP

There are many options but I also wanted a simple controller and went with Intermatic.. they have a complete system for 800 or so.. Pool Spa Supplies | Intermatic - Ctrl, Intermatic Multi-Wave PE35065RC, ECS Plus, 80A, w/Remote - PE35065RC

You may also be able to just get the controller (Intermatic PE653RC) like I have and then add the solar/heater/spa controller that you would need..
    Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info cowboycasey.

I'm thinking I'll just do the old manual dance for now. Any advice for what I should or should not do with the manual setup knowing my plan is to add automation at a future date? I'm going with Jandy valves and diverters so I can add actuators later. I'm getting a Raypak Digital Propane heater which should be controllable from most automation systems. Any other gotchas that I should be wary of?

Thanks again!
    Pool: Inground 25k gallon concrete & quartz plaster, 1 1/2 HP pump, Sta-Rite Posi-Flo 135TXR
    Spa: Inground 2k gallon concrete & quartz plaster, 1 1/2 HP pump, Sta-Rite Posi-Flo 135TXR
    Heater: a broken Teledyne 50k btu