Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG output percentage vs. time the pump runs........

1. Back To Top    #1
    Coastal South Carolina

SWG output percentage vs. time the pump runs........

I've been running my pump 24/7 for a while now. I have my swg set at 10% to keep my free chlorine level pretty constant. I've decided that I'd like to try to cut back on the pump time. Since the display shows output as the percentage of time that chlorine is being produced per hour of pump time, If I drop back to 12 hours per day will I have to boost my swg to 20% to keep the same level of free chlorine?

Logic certainly makes it seem so or have I missed something obvious?
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: SWG output percentage vs. time the pump runs........

You have it right. The percentage is a percentage of the pump run time. If you switch to half the pump run time you need to double the percentage to get the same amount of chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School