Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing order

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing order

converting to SWCG and have really high CYA (100+) So I plan on draining about 30% of the pool, which should get me closer to 70-80. So obviously that should be the first thing to balance. I have no idea how that's going to change my other readings, but will retest after that. I have salt at the ready. I noticed some things can through off other readings, so is there a decent order to follow to make it easier. i.e. adding baking soda will raise ph, etc.
    PH is already really low, so i imagine it will be even lower when i add new water...
    2010 In Ground ~ 12-15,000 Gallon estimated
    ~3 ft shallow ~ 6 ft deep ~38 ft x 17 ft Freeform shape Pebbletec Finish
    2 Drains, 2 Skimmers, Sidewall Vacuum (Not in Use)
    Dolphin Oasis Z5 - PHPF1.0 Pump - Jandy CV340 Filter
    Fort Mill, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing order

It depends on the PH of your fill water. We'll have to see what it looks like. Usually, PH first, FC second
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.....again !! I will drain and fill and plan on fixing ph first.
    Fort Mill, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

Retest that CYA using the dilution method. A lot of people here have estimated they were at 120 or whatever and discovered they were closer to 200 and all the draining and waiting to refill had to be repeated. Step 9 explains how to do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks i will again tomorrow with a bit more sunlight, tried the diluted method just now looks closer to 180, but my lighting is average in house.
    Fort Mill, SC