Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White water mold

1. Back To Top    #1

White water mold

Spring of 2015 when I opened my pool it was full of toilet paper or so it looks like that. I was informed that it was white water mold. With draining 29000 gallons of water and scrubbing and a ton of chlorine as I refilled the pool we had clear water all season.
    Here we are again and it's back again.
    Any thoughts on a perment solution to removing the mold for good.
    I would like to get back to a clear water opening again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White water mold

Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you maintaining your water chemistry?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Tell us more about your pool by updating your signature, more info here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Also, how do you test your water and what are some recent test results?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this an above ground or in-ground pool??

5. Back To Top    #5

I test with test strips and at the pool store. Water always tested perfect. right now there is no chlorine in the pool as the mold eats small amounts of chlorine so that's the need to super chlorinate

- - - Updated - - -

I use Bio Guard products.
    18 X 38, In Ground, 29,000 gal, vinyl liner, Reem heater, Hayward 1 hp pump, Stay Rite cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP lets get this going

you have white mold because the pool store and test strips have no idea what your water is at. you are spending way to much money on products that are not helping you.. if your water was perfect like they said you would not have a problem.

You need a great test kit and cut the cord from the pool store look in my signature and order a test kit, then do some reading on how to SLAM.. once your test kit comes in test your water and let us know what the results are and we will get you going..

Right now you can add 1 gallon of regular old bleach from walmart in your pool daily until your test kit comes in.

We will get you going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

We can definitely get your pool cleared up. I have used the TF100 from TFTestkits.net for years. Start here to read about how we maintain pools here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I have never heard of white mild in a pool that was not using Baq.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

White water mold

White water mold is possible to get in a chlorine sanitized swimming pool, it's just rare to see. It's actually a fungus that usually starts off inside pipes and likes darker/shady areas of the pool (like mustard algae). It can form films like bacterial biofilms that are hard for chlorine to penetrate.

To the OP - it sounds like your pool has not been properly chlorinated and that, whatever testing and chemicals you are doing is inadequate. White mold is a symptom of pool water that is not properly sanitized. Suffice it to say that no one should be swimming in the pool until the problem is fixed.

If you read through our site, you will see that we are a DIY forum when it comes to water testing and chemistry. We do not rely on pool stores as their testing is often wrong. We also do not use high priced pool store chemicals which are often just highly marked-up versions of stuff you can find in Walmart and grocery stores. If you want our help then you will need to ditch the pool store and BioGuard chemicals and commit to the TFPC Method of pool care. That starts with owning your own test kit (we recommend you get one of the two we list in Pool School) and testing your water yourself.

If you post test results from one of those kits, then we can help you easily solve your water problems.

Good luck,
    Matt
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates