Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaf eater - how well do they work?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaf eater - how well do they work?

Probably best described as a cheap pressure side cleaner designed to run off of tap water via a hose but could be hooked up to a return. Now that winter is apon us I thought one of these things would be a little easier just to get a few leaves out than a manual vaccum but how well do they work?

This is the contraption I'm talking about.

I found an old thread about one that had poor suction and it was recommended to connect the hose to a return and run it off the pool pump.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaf eater - how well do they work?

I Couldn't live without mine. Tons of trees around my pool so I use if after a storm. Normally after I just got the pool clean and sparkly......just hook it to the hose....i wouldn't know about connecting it to a return and run it off the pool pump.

Don't however buy the one made by Stanley on Amazon (it's yellow and black).....it stunk!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks smforte, that's great.

Having three returns I don't know how well running it off the pool pump would work for me, l would have to regulate the flow from the other two and that wouldn't be worth the hassle. But just dragging up the hose, I can do that.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon one, the Stanley one may be on eBay also.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

4. Back To Top    #4

The Stanley sprung a leak immediately underneath. As the water runs it shoots out of small holes that I guess creates a vortex to pick up the trash. It started squirting out Where the parts meet underneath, causing less of a vortex if that makes sense. I tried filing the crack with silicone and gorilla glue but nothing helped. The only thing I liked about the Stanley is it came with regular and fine mesh bags but I'm sure you can get those anywhere.

On a side note, while using these leaf catchers you can also turn it over and float it across the top of your water to help skim the pool.
    Last edited by smforte; 04-16-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got mine and if you have a lot of leaves its great. I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort for just a couple of leaves.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit