Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding second return to Intex 18' round need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding second return to Intex 18' round need advice

I have an Intex 18,x 48" round. Last year I added a Hayward skimmer box and a solar heater with a second dedicated pump. I ran that return over the side as I wasn't ready to cut another hole into the liner. Worked, okay but when all the kids get in, the hose hanging over the edge always get beat up and I worry they will knock it out and then all the return water will just pump out. So this year I got a second send of returns, factory Intex 1.5" and want to cut a hold for a second return. I have lowered the water, but am scared to cut a hole in case it's not strong enough and it blows out the side of the pool ruining it. I was looking for a patch to add a second layer of vinyl like the stock return has, but everything I find is only 4"wide and I would need about a 6" wide to be the same as the stock ones.

Please help. It's almost time to fill it back up and start cycling it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding second return to Intex 18' round need advice

So you cut a giant hole for the skimmer, but will not cut one for a return pipe?

I think there are 100s of people on the forum who have added returns with doubling up with a patch, Is the 4" not big enough?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it would be fine without a patch but if you really want a bigger patch try the local pool store, they gave me a 1' square sample for free, might do same for you.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Yeah putting the skimmer in a felt safe since I bolted the frame in and then cut the hole. This time I would be making a circle hole and then putting the return tube in.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking of cutting some pieces from my old Intex pool sitting in the shed and glue on before cutting holes for some new returns. What type of glue would be best?
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump