Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter - repair or replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

DE filter - repair or replacement?

I have a Hayward Pro Grid DE-6020 60 sq ft DE filter. The top half of the shell has a tiny crack. To replace just that part is about $300. I've always been satisfied with the filter and the bottom half of the shell was replaced a couple years ago. The grids were all replaced last year. So for the $300, in effect, I would have a relatively new 60 sq ft filter. A new like one is about $700. It looks like a comparable cartridge filter is over $1,000.

Most of my neighbors are using cartridge filters and seem to be happy with them. Also it would mean less loss of chemicals and water. So I think if I were starting from scratch, I would consider cartridge. My dilemma is repair or replace, and if replace, DE or cartridge, and if cartridge, which brand and model.

My current inclination is just repair, no plumbing, and cheapest option.

Suggestions or comments welcomed.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter - repair or replacement?

By repair, you mean replace the top half right? I would not try to fix a crack in the pressure vessel (previous house I had a filter crack and drain my pool).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd pick the option that doesn't involve cutting and gluing pipes, myself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

A cartridge filter is probably a good option since there aren't a lot of trees dropping debris in the pool. I am happy with my Pentair C&C520 from a functionality standpoint. It isn't great with all the trees we have dropping stuff non-stop in our pool. Yeah, wow, it is 900 bucks at sunplay. I think I'd go with the $300 repair.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I don't know how long these plastic filter shells are supposed to last in this blazing desert sun, but I guess I will just replace the top half and let it go at that. It's just when you are spending at or near 1/2 the cost of an item to repair, you must really consider replacement as an option.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit