Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner pulling from wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner pulling from wall

Not sure if this is the right place for this question..

Concrete pool, vinyl liner-- the white molding is pulling away from the wall a bit- I noticed two spots on the radii of the pool. Thoughts? did water get in behind and freeze and pull from the wall... do i just caulk it for now? or do I fix it some other way?
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner pulling from wall

Is your vinyl attached to the molding? Is it attached to a metal track just below? Can we get a picture? I think what you are talking about is the coping or top edge cover of the pool. How the liner is attached is important in the repair so a picture would be good.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Attachment 46642Attachment 46643 the liner is attached to the white molding... that is a Canadian Quarter beside the crack in the first picture...it is the same size as an American, it is only worth 30% less- LOL... it seems that there is a metal brackets behind the white molding.. not to sure. I have been told that this pool was not always vinyl. that it developed cracks and the cracks were repaired, and the liner was added after that...so it maybe some kind of retrofit situation

the second picture was taken to document the colour of the pool when I flip the mesh cover back, but you might be able to see the liner and the molding in it..
    Thanks
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any new thoughts? I have tried googling this- all the hits are about tucking the liner into the track - mine is the track pulling from the wall...
    Tim

5. Back To Top    #5

I would just caulk it and not worry about it.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would get a pro in to fix it. Caulk only masks the damage that has been done and it will continue to get worse. That track need to be reattached to the wall for a complete fix.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Had a local pool guy look at it - he said the pool wall has seperated from the liner- he is calling it cosmetic at this point, and will fix it later in the year with some epoxy cement mixture...

I am thinking that I will rebuild the the rotting timber retaining wall that holds the earth around that end of the pool to hold it in place...
    Tim