Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Looking to buy a robot and I've narrowed it down to three units...

Dolphin M500... $1599 with a $100 rebate (has pro remote) Update: found another store $1350

Dolphin M400...$1399 with a $75 rebate (has no remote) UPDATE: found another store $1149

Dolphin Triton Plus... $1049 on line, free shipping. (has basic remote)

are the 500 or 400 really worth that much more $$$

They have the 3 year warrantee, the extra center brush, a reasonably local dealer if I have problems, but yeowza that's a pretty big difference.

I really really want the 500...but.... Hmmm. is it worth the extra $$$$

Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, HA! Test strips! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener.

Have you ruled out the Z5? My Friend loves his, and to me it seems the same performance wise minus the brush. I've nothing against the others, just don't know them. Save the money, and buy a nice test kit next would be one idea.

Have you ruled out the Z5? My Friend loves his, and to me it seems the same performance wise minus the brush. I've nothing against the others, just don't know them. Save the money, and buy a nice test kit next would be one idea.

I have not ruled out the Z5.. same thing as the Triton Plus. However after finding the M400 at $1149 that is probably the way I'll go.

I've used the same test kits and or strips going on many years now and my pools/hot tubs are always pristine.. if it aint broke, don't fix it I was always told.

I've used the same test kits and or strips going on many years now and my pools/hot tubs are always pristine.. if it aint broke, don't fix it I was always told.
Well, test kits regents go bad after a year or 2 and test strips have proven to be absolutely useless.

If you are interested in a possibly better and cheaper way, take a look around at what we teach ;)

I have not ruled out the Z5.. same thing as the Triton Plus. However after finding the M400 at $1149 that is probably the way I'll go.

That would be the best deal of all. If you can do that, it will be hard to beat if you ask me.

Debated same thing. I pulled the trigger last weekend. ~$100 diff at that price point ...what the hay. If you needed a nudge figure I would give it to you.
By the way I just bought 500 for $1250 and subtract the $100 rebate I couldn't resist vs the 400 at $75 rebate and no caddy or no remote.
Sad part is I haven't even put it in the pool yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Debated same thing. I pulled the trigger last weekend. ~$100 diff at that price point ...what the hay. If you needed a nudge figure I would give it to you.
By the way I just bought 500 for $1250 and subtract the $100 rebate I couldn't resist vs the 400 at $75 rebate and no caddy or no remote.
Sad part is I haven't even put it in the pool yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THATS a good price!! And all the 400's I've seen come with the caddy, just not the remote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, test kits regents go bad after a year or 2 and test strips have proven to be absolutely useless.

If you are interested in a possibly better and cheaper way, take a look around at what we teach ;)

I will have a look for sure now that I found this place though. but my test kits always verified what my strips were saying.

Strips ar really not very reliable. I don't want to bang on you about whatever has worked for your pool, but do consider buying a proper kit. It's really the only reliable way to control your pool or diagnose and properly deal with issues if they do arise.

Now, go get that 400 before it goes off sale. :)

PS

Don't buy one without caddy or remote. You want both, trust me.

Strips ar really not very reliable. I don't want to bang on you about whatever has worked for your pool, but do consider buying a proper kit. It's really the only reliable way to control your pool or diagnose and properly deal with issues if they do arise.

Now, go get that 400 before it goes off sale. :)

PS

Don't buy one without caddy or remote. You want both, trust me.

And that's the only problem with the 400... no remote..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.