Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hmm, is it worth it???

1. Back To Top    #1

Hmm, is it worth it???

Looking to buy a robot and I've narrowed it down to three units...

Dolphin M500... $1599 with a $100 rebate (has pro remote) Update: found another store $1350

Dolphin M400...$1399 with a $75 rebate (has no remote) UPDATE: found another store $1149

Dolphin Triton Plus... $1049 on line, free shipping. (has basic remote)

are the 500 or 400 really worth that much more $$$

They have the 3 year warrantee, the extra center brush, a reasonably local dealer if I have problems, but yeowza that's a pretty big difference.

I really really want the 500...but.... Hmmm. is it worth the extra $$$$

Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, HA! Test strips! , SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hmm, is it worth it???

I got the Dolphin Primal X3, and it is amazing. I don't need the caddy, or the remote and I give a whole lot less than that. Two year warranty! $599.00 and free shipping.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

It is hard to answer without knowing anything about your pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It is hard to answer without knowing anything about your pool
    And I updated my sig earlier to show all that, maybe it didn't take.. now it has I see
    Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, Test strips! HA! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener. Oh, and a HydroNet radio control leaf skimmer boat! AND... A brand spankin new Dolphin M500 robot! ;-)

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you ruled out the Z5? My Friend loves his, and to me it seems the same performance wise minus the brush. I've nothing against the others, just don't know them. Save the money, and buy a nice test kit next would be one idea.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Have you ruled out the Z5? My Friend loves his, and to me it seems the same performance wise minus the brush. I've nothing against the others, just don't know them. Save the money, and buy a nice test kit next would be one idea.
    I have not ruled out the Z5.. same thing as the Triton Plus. However after finding the M400 at $1149 that is probably the way I'll go.

I've used the same test kits and or strips going on many years now and my pools/hot tubs are always pristine.. if it aint broke, don't fix it I was always told.
    Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, Test strips! HA! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener. Oh, and a HydroNet radio control leaf skimmer boat! AND... A brand spankin new Dolphin M500 robot! ;-)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by A.O. View Post
    I've used the same test kits and or strips going on many years now and my pools/hot tubs are always pristine.. if it aint broke, don't fix it I was always told.
    Well, test kits regents go bad after a year or 2 and test strips have proven to be absolutely useless.

If you are interested in a possibly better and cheaper way, take a look around at what we teach
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by A.O. View Post
    I have not ruled out the Z5.. same thing as the Triton Plus. However after finding the M400 at $1149 that is probably the way I'll go.

That would be the best deal of all. If you can do that, it will be hard to beat if you ask me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

Debated same thing. I pulled the trigger last weekend. ~$100 diff at that price point ...what the hay. If you needed a nudge figure I would give it to you.
    By the way I just bought 500 for $1250 and subtract the $100 rebate I couldn't resist vs the 400 at $75 rebate and no caddy or no remote.
    Sad part is I haven't even put it in the pool yet.

Free form | 14k gal | 81 pf | 3.5' - 5' - 4' | Dolphin M500 | intelli FLO VS 3 hp | heat pump ultra temp hp 90 | quad 60 DE | ic40 swcg | Aqua blue mini pebble | 5g LED

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
    Debated same thing. I pulled the trigger last weekend. ~$100 diff at that price point ...what the hay. If you needed a nudge figure I would give it to you.
    By the way I just bought 500 for $1250 and subtract the $100 rebate I couldn't resist vs the 400 at $75 rebate and no caddy or no remote.
    Sad part is I haven't even put it in the pool yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    THATS a good price!! And all the 400's I've seen come with the caddy, just not the remote.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, test kits regents go bad after a year or 2 and test strips have proven to be absolutely useless.

If you are interested in a possibly better and cheaper way, take a look around at what we teach
    I will have a look for sure now that I found this place though. but my test kits always verified what my strips were saying.

12. Back To Top    #12

Strips ar really not very reliable. I don't want to bang on you about whatever has worked for your pool, but do consider buying a proper kit. It's really the only reliable way to control your pool or diagnose and properly deal with issues if they do arise.

Now, go get that 400 before it goes off sale.

PS

Don't buy one without caddy or remote. You want both, trust me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

Strips ar really not very reliable. I don't want to bang on you about whatever has worked for your pool, but do consider buying a proper kit. It's really the only reliable way to control your pool or diagnose and properly deal with issues if they do arise.

Now, go get that 400 before it goes off sale.

PS

Don't buy one without caddy or remote. You want both, trust me.
    And that's the only problem with the 400... no remote..

14. Back To Top    #14

Bite the bullet, you won't regret it once you see how well these things perform.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

Bite the bullet, you won't regret it once you see how well these things perform.
    Well in fact I did, just ordered an M500, should be at the store on Tuesday.