Nature2 filters?

Ebj

Dec 25, 2015
Redding, CA
I bought home 4 months ago and I have one of these on my pool and getting ready to replace cartridge. I'm curious do these really work well? The box on the cartridge claims to "reduce chlorine use to just 0.5 ppm", has anyone used these and seen this to be true?

It would be great to hear from anyone that has any experience with these and any info on them.

Thanks

eric

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 59
NO!!! Do not replace the mineral cartridge. They just add metal to your water that can cause staining and green hair. In fact, I would remove whatever cartridge is currently installed and remove the metal beads.

A quick search of the forum will result in 100s of threads discussing this ;)

If you do a forum search you will see we actively advise against all of these mineral systems due to the problems they can cause (green hair, pool stains, etc.)

sorry for the short answer, but am in a rush here

Ike

As Jason and Ike have said, you can search the forum and find plenty of threads discussing the chemistry of these systems in detail. The main claim that it lowers your chlorine use is incredibly deceptive. A proper chlorine level is dictated entirely by your stabilizer (CYA) level as that has the greatest impact on how much active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) is in your water. It is active chlorine that kills pathogens and oxidizes bather waste. It is true that metal ions do kill algae (copper) and certain bacteria (silver). But at what cost? You see, one of the main problems with these systems is that there is no way to measure how much metal ion concentration they are providing nor is there a cheap and easy way to test for metal ion concentration. So you basically are operating on the "dump & pray" method of pool care - dump in a bunch of "stuff" and hope it all works. That goes against everything we teach here on TFP. As well, the concentration of metal ions is important to know because it is what dictates the kill rates for pathogens - too little and the kill rates are much longer than chlorine alone, too much and you get very close to the point of generating metal stains. Metal stains, particularly silver stains, can be very difficult and expensive to remedy so, you have to ask yourself, is the "low chlorine" you use worth the risk of a damaged pool surface? Given the fact that you have a plaster pool, copper and silver staining is much more likely and, in the case of silver stains, impossible to completely fix (silver metal stains don't respond to any typical metal stain treatment chemicals and will require an acid wash to remove them).

As we always say here on TFP, you are free to manage your pool however you wish. But, the accumulated wisdom here on TFP says that those mineral based systems don't live up to their marketing hype and are more trouble than they are worth.

The reason I stopped using my nature 2 is what Matt said above. You really have no idea if you are sufficiently sanitized. As Matt said its dump and pray. I'm not making that up -- read the manual that is basically what it says to do. And that what the PBs rep told me in their version of pool school. Just keep the chlorine between 1 and 2 and replace the cartridge in the Nature 2 twice a year.

Of thanks everyone for the input. So at this point do you recommend me keeping the old filter in or just remove it?

It appears that my set up allows me to completely bypass this filter. If that is case, I would gather that would be best and not even bother with this thing??

Thanks

eric

I have a brand new pool that has the N2 system. After reading the numerous posts here about staining, I didn't put a cartridge in it, the water is just going through it. I don't plan on using it, but don't want to cut it out and replumb everything yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.