Chlorine odor at start up of filter pump

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
I noticed yesterday that when the filter pump equipment started up a stronger than usual chlorine odor could be detected. Im still learning and was wanting to make sure what was normal and not normal with pool maintenance. I dont have a current water read to post at this time, but I did raise my FC from 2ppm to 8ppm after the equipment started up (stain issue). Your applys are always appreciated.

Jason,

My current readings are as follows:

FC 1 (to raised back to 8....stains)
CC 0
TC 1
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 220 I added calcium chloride 24 hrs ago and it has gone from 120 to 220 :p
CYA 40 I added conditioner 24 hrs ago as well and it has gone up from less than 20 (more like 10 to 0) :p

Question:

My PH and TA has been consistant yet Im getting that white film on my tiles and front face of my spa, so what could be the issue?

If I added CYA 24 hrs ago (to raise it to target of 40) would it have reached its goal within 24 hrs?

Yalls help is always appreciated. I feel that I have come close to getting my pool under control and will battle my stains shortly.

With CYA at 40 you never want to allow FC to get below 3, even for a moment. Low FC levels can result in small amounts of CC. If the CC is the kind that is volatile, ie the kind that you smell in the air, it might not show up on the test.

Hi, Chris,

My PH and TA has been consistant yet Im getting that white film on my tiles and front face of my spa, so what could be the issue?
from this quote, it sounds like you have mentioned this before but I couldn't find it. Did I just overlook it?

Jason,

Should I attempt to lower my CYA (water replacement) or keep it in the recommended range (ie 40)? I understand the CYA/chlorine ratios, but I guess the down side is having to maintaine a higher FC level. In regards to the odor, Its only detectible when the equipment first starts up, so Im not sure that its because the water was idle prior to start up. Let me know.

No, don't lower your CYA level.

My assumption is that the "chlorine" smell on equipment startup is related to the recent low FC level. If it persists even when you have appropriate FC levels at all times it might be something else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.