Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine odor at start up of filter pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine odor at start up of filter pump

I noticed yesterday that when the filter pump equipment started up a stronger than usual chlorine odor could be detected. Im still learning and was wanting to make sure what was normal and not normal with pool maintenance. I dont have a current water read to post at this time, but I did raise my FC from 2ppm to 8ppm after the equipment started up (stain issue). Your applys are always appreciated.
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine odor at start up of filter pump

A chlorine smell is CC. Presumably there is some aeration when the pump starts up that is releasing some CC into the air.

Does your water testing show any CC?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The last two tests were showing 0 CC. Ill check it when I get home and post the latest numbers. 8)
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,

My current readings are as follows:

FC 1 (to raised back to 8....stains)
    CC 0
    TC 1
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 220 I added calcium chloride 24 hrs ago and it has gone from 120 to 220 :P
    CYA 40 I added conditioner 24 hrs ago as well and it has gone up from less than 20 (more like 10 to 0) :P

Question:

My PH and TA has been consistant yet Im getting that white film on my tiles and front face of my spa, so what could be the issue?

If I added CYA 24 hrs ago (to raise it to target of 40) would it have reached its goal within 24 hrs?

Yalls help is always appreciated. I feel that I have come close to getting my pool under control and will battle my stains shortly.

5. Back To Top    #5

With CYA at 40 you never want to allow FC to get below 3, even for a moment. Low FC levels can result in small amounts of CC. If the CC is the kind that is volatile, ie the kind that you smell in the air, it might not show up on the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi, Chris,

My PH and TA has been consistant yet Im getting that white film on my tiles and front face of my spa, so what could be the issue?
    from this quote, it sounds like you have mentioned this before but I couldn't find it. Did I just overlook it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason,

Should I attempt to lower my CYA (water replacement) or keep it in the recommended range (ie 40)? I understand the CYA/chlorine ratios, but I guess the down side is having to maintaine a higher FC level. In regards to the odor, Its only detectible when the equipment first starts up, so Im not sure that its because the water was idle prior to start up. Let me know.

8. Back To Top    #8

Duraleigh,

I believe I mentioned the issue previously in combination with another question. Any suggestions?

9. Back To Top    #9

No, don't lower your CYA level.

My assumption is that the "chlorine" smell on equipment startup is related to the recent low FC level. If it persists even when you have appropriate FC levels at all times it might be something else.

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess I should have clarified when I first posted the odor issue, I only smell the odor if Im standing next to the spa when the equip first starts up. Not sure if this helps but Ill monitor the issue.