Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMing AGAIN!

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMing AGAIN!

I posted up a while ago with some issues on rising PH and needing to SLAM. After getting my PH issues straightened out I needed to SLAM due to a high CC count. I was probably 95% through the slam process, but got called out of town on business and had to assume that my overnight test would be good. Apparently that was WRONG!

I came home to a clear pool, but a very strong ammonia smell and a FC of 1 and a CC of 3.5

So I started my SLAM again three days ago. After first dose of Chlorine per pool Math my FC dropped down to 3 and my CC was at 6. Since then I have been adding more bleach and checking every two hours up until I go to bed and brushing 3 times a day

This AM my numbers are as follows:
    FC 31
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 80

My question is during this entire process I can still smell chloramines. Is this normal? Do I possibly have an ammonia problem? Digging back through my winter testing records I noticed that my FC did hit zero (wife tested and didn't tell me, she just added more bleach) and my CYA dropped from 50 to 30.
    15K Gallon, IG Pebble Sheen pool with SPA (8/15/2015). Wrap around stone waterfall, spill over spa and bubbler on tanning shelf. Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair Whisper Flo for filter circulation and Pentair Intelliflo for water features. Pressure side pentair sweeper, Pentair heater and Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (just use to keep CYA in check), Haas Liquidator and all powered by a Pentair Intellitouch system. K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAMing AGAIN!

It's normal. If you had ammonia you would not be able to maintain any CYA or FC unless you specifically treated for it. Believe me, you would have known it. I think you're just expelling a lot of combined chlorine at the moment. Also, don't bother testing pH anymore until after the SLAM.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! In my 18 years of owning a vinyl pool I got to know it very well by sight, smell and sound. SLAMS were but once a year on opening and things went relatively smooth.

My new pool is half way across the country, open all year and has a pebble tec finish, I'm still in the honey moon phase and learning something new each week.
    15K Gallon, IG Pebble Sheen pool with SPA (8/15/2015). Wrap around stone waterfall, spill over spa and bubbler on tanning shelf. Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair Whisper Flo for filter circulation and Pentair Intelliflo for water features. Pressure side pentair sweeper, Pentair heater and Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (just use to keep CYA in check), Haas Liquidator and all powered by a Pentair Intellitouch system. K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I noticed that my FC did hit zero (wife tested and didn't tell me, she just added more bleach) and my CYA dropped from 50 to 30.
    What is your CYA now?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA was 30 before I started SLAM. I've got a bunch of trichlor from when the pool was installed and will probably bump that up to 40 by using 4 pucks in the feeder before turning on the liquidator.

6. Back To Top    #6

I might suggest that just to be on the safe side, if you haven't done it already, please double check the effects (expected CYA increase) of adding those 4 tabs to your feeder. That row on the Poolmath calculator towards the bottom (Effects of Adding Chemicals) will tell you the side effects based on your size pool. You might add more than just 10 ppm.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool Math says that for our 15K pool, 32oz (8 oz per puck) will do the following: FC by 14.6 ppm and CYA by 8.9 ppm

8. Back To Top    #8

That sounds about right. Very good.