Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Repair

Our gunite pool is around 10 years old and the previous years winter was bitter and I believe caused some plaster to delam in small areas. I can tap to hear the hollow vs solid spots and it appears to be very localized. While I'm comfortable doing basic masonary repairs , like replacing coping etc.. I'm unsure what product to use to repair such an area. I see something called E-Z Patch , but it appears to only come in white. That would stand out like a soar thumb against out blue plaster. Any advice or materials , techniques ? Thx !!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Repair

Is it possible to take a picture of the affected area?

I may ask the mods to move this thread to a different sub-forum so that it gets better visibility. "The Deep End" sub-forum is really more for wonky-nerdy pool chemistry stuff and your question is definitely important and probably more construction oriented.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

FYI, I used the EZ Patch years ago where I dug out some plater where rusted rebar had created rust staining. I mixed in some colored cement to match the grayish plaster color. Worked for about two years but then reverted back to its original white color. Except for the change in color, it worked well (sorta like asking Mrs. Lincoln, "Except for the shooting, how did you like the play?").
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Will do so this weekend when I get the cover off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimslaw View Post
    FYI, I used the EZ Patch years ago where I dug out some plater where rusted rebar had created rust staining. I mixed in some colored cement to match the grayish plaster color. Worked for about two years but then reverted back to its original white color. Except for the change in color, it worked well (sorta like asking Mrs. Lincoln, "Except for the shooting, how did you like the play?").
    Hmm that was plan A, I reached out to the manufacturer and it was their suggestion ... Do you know what they use to color plaster when they originally plaster a pool ? In hind site would you use another product ?

5. Back To Top    #5

I was always a little baffled by the EZ Patch product's one color (white) option (as if we all have white plaster pools). Surprising myopic thinking IMO.

A lot of the cementious product color additives are going to be in the earth tones - not so good for pool finish colors.

I would be hesitant about using any kind of a liquid coloring agent that one might find at a big box store as that typically only works with cured concrete/cement (e.g, a color dye or stain product).

Probably best to reach out to a local PB for suggestions or hope someone here will post.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimslaw View Post
    I was always a little baffled by the EZ Patch product's one color (white) option (as if we all have white plaster pools). Surprising myopic thinking IMO.

A lot of the cementious product color additives are going to be in the earth tones - not so good for pool finish colors.

I would be hesitant about using any kind of a liquid coloring agent that one might find at a big box store as that typically only works with cured concrete/cement (e.g, a color dye or stain product).

Probably best to reach out to a local PB for suggestions or hope someone here will post.
    Agreed , I was searching everywhere for "not white"... I did find this. It's doesn't need to be a perfect match , just better than re-plastering the whole pool. I assume by PB , pool biz ? We finally found someone we can trust , now he's in med school , so we're on our own again.