Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair crumbling spa step - pebble tech

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair crumbling spa step - pebble tech

I have a step in my spa that had a crack in the pebble tech, which I thought was going to be a simple patch. After taking a chisel to the step, much to my dismay, part of the step came a crumbling down. The step is curved and I need to repair it before I can put new pebble tech on it. I am not sure what to use to repair it or exactly how to proceed. I have a couple of ideas, but I would really like to here some opinions before I go ahead and do something stupid. I have attached a couple of pictures to show you what I am up against.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 Gallons - IG. Pentair CCP520 cartridge. Whisperflo WFE-8 2.0 hp. Built - 2000. Leslie's Deluxe OTO Test Kit. Other - Spa, Cleaner, WF , Jandy Aqua Link RS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repair crumbling spa step - pebble tech

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <---. Climate is a very important factor influencing advice for maintaining pools. How long has the pool been drained?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh man! I bet your heart dropped to your toes when that happened I have not clue how to help you but wanted to know I feel your pain!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <---. Climate is a very important factor influencing advice for maintaining pools. How long has the pool been drained?
    Pool is not drained. Only the spa is for about 10 days now.
    12,000 Gallons - IG. Pentair CCP520 cartridge. Whisperflo WFE-8 2.0 hp. Built - 2000. Leslie's Deluxe OTO Test Kit. Other - Spa, Cleaner, WF , Jandy Aqua Link RS4

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in Oakley, CA, which is about 30-40 miles inland of San Francisco.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is that dirt under there?

Ok pebble tec is a proprietary product so if you are going to match what you have you need to call a pebble tec installer to do the work. That's Aqua Gunite in Livermore or Adams Pool solutions in Pleasanton.

It looks like your underlying gunite is only about 4 inches thick and I see no rebar. That could be a serious problem. I would need to get down and see what rebar there is and how that shell is constructed. I would like to tie to rebar. As for a cement choice any high strength concrete will work. The issue isn't really the concrete but how you tie it in.

So I would first call one of the companies listed above and get a bid and an evaluation. You are going to need one of them to do the final finish work if you want it to match.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Is that dirt under there?

Ok pebble tec is a proprietary product so if you are going to match what you have you need to call a pebble tec installer to do the work. That's Aqua Gunite in Livermore or Adams Pool solutions in Pleasanton.

It looks like your underlying gunite is only about 4 inches thick and I see no rebar. That could be a serious problem. I would need to get down and see what rebar there is and how that shell is constructed. I would like to tie to rebar. As for a cement choice any high strength concrete will work. The issue isn't really the concrete but how you tie it in.

So I would first call one of the companies listed above and get a bid and an evaluation. You are going to need one of them to do the final finish work if you want it to match.
    Thank you that is extremely helpful. I really appreciate it.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Happens all the time with pebble pools/spas.
    Picture doesn't show the new rebar is set with epoxy. Many trade articles written on this happening fix is fairly simple. Cost usually $500-$700

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspools View Post
    Happens all the time with pebble pools/spas.
    Picture doesn't show the new rebar is set with epoxy. Many trade articles written on this happening fix is fairly simple. Cost usually $500-$700

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk
    Thank you. That's great. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. This site is great. I am very happy that I found it. I am feeling pretty good about this fix at this point. Thanks again.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Adams primarily works the Tri Valley and South Bay you can try them but not sure they will go to Oakley. Check with Trademark in Modesto I know they have done builds in Brentwood so I wold think they will go to Oakley too.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

11. Back To Top    #11

Everyone has you on the right track here. Need to drill and epoxy new rebar, preferable into old rebar. Form new concrete step and replaster. Your climate isn't too hot and sunny, that is good. And it is only the spa, also good. But, spray down the pebble every day to keep it moist. A sprinkler with a hose timer is a good option.

From Pebbletec's website, Explore Pebble Technology International (PTI) Superior Quality Pool Finishes™ Pebble Tec
    It is important to refill immediately after service/repair has been completed. Generally, this would be within a 24-hour period of draining the pool. However, if the finish is well bonded to the substrate, if the finish is frequently saturated (so that moisture is maintained within the finish) and if proper precautions are taken, the finish can withstand being drained for several days under optimum circumstances. This should only be attempted under the supervision of a PTI certified builder or authorized applicator.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach