Last year I had issues keeping the algae away and to do so I had to use a lot of Chlorine. Researching the subject makes me believe it's because the CYA was too high. I think the lowest and highest I had it was around 80/90-120 when it should be 30-40. Interesting enough, when I opened the pool the algae went away right away and I think the CYA was low at that time. I think all this was caused by me using conditioned chlorine to shock the pool. Note: no one at the pool store said "oh your CYA is high even at 120". After reading about the BBB method and algae, I wanted to try something new so here are my questions. Thank you in advance for your replies.
1. Do most people here use liquid chlorine to sanitize/shock the pool?
2. Does anyone use the Cal Hypo shock? seems like a good alternative to having to deal with all the Gal jugs of liquid chlorine. But then started to think about the calcium build up in the water and problems it can use. It sounds like it would be minimal to a vinyl lining type pool though. Any thoughts?
3. Any one in Northern NJ that knows of a place that I can buy some bulk liquid chlorine? Seems like a good alternative to buying lots of 1 gal jugs. However, I have little kids, so bulk might be a bit more difficult to store / keep safe but I'm still willing to consider it.
4. Is it okay to use Chlorine tablets through the week to maintain the chlorine level? In other words, they don't increase the CYA level as fast as pool shock,right?. I think I was using 3-4 tablets per week.