Glass firepit

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
I totally want a glass firepit, but the kids want to roast marshmallows and cook hot dogs. Can this be done on a glass firepit? Will it get hot enough? Probably need to worry about dripping mess on the pretty glass.

Might consider a wood burning one, but it will be within a few feet of our soon to be built salt water pool and not sure I want the wood/ash mess so close to the pool. Or the metal that close to it.

A compromise might be a gas pit with ceramic logs and lava rock, the ceramic gives the pit some mass to absorb the heat and radiate it out. Does not get as hot as wood but plenty of heat for a smore. You want to avoid dropping things in but won't kill it if you do and eventually it will burn off. If it ever got real bad you can clean the logs with a wire brush and some MA the lava rock can just be replaced. I had a pit at my previous home for years and never had to replace the rock and we never cleaned the logs the thin layer of soot they get gave them a realistic look.

You can ofcourse use fire glass instead of lava rock but it can be expensive and as you eluded to might be painfull if it gets marshmallow goo on it.

We have a glass fire pit and roast smores all the time. No worries with marshmallows, they just burn off. Never tried hotdogs though.

I ordered ours from American Specialty Glass. 3" of 1/2" lava rock topped with 3" of 1" colored glass chunks. Their website has a calculator on it to help determine how much glass you need for a given size pit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.