Pool SLAM combined chlorine question

RDN

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2011
Hi:

New the the forum, but a long time pool owner (29 years).

16x32 in ground vinyl lined pool (~21K gallons), Seattle, WA area.

Last year I chased combined chlorine, running my CYA up to about 150. I (partially) blame the high CYA it on a dry previous winter, typically we get a lot of rain, which then dilutes the CYA due to lowering the pool. Of course the Pool Store had me shock with stabilized chlorine, and you know what effect that had...

After discovering this forum, I spent the fall/winter getting the CYA level lowered (two partial drainings, followed by letting the winter rain do the rest).

So now I'm at:

CYA ~30

TA 225
CH 26
ph 7.6

I've been SLAMing the pool since Saturday (5 days). It is totally clear (like others have said, I could read a newspaper placed on the bottom of the pool), and I washed the cartridge filter off a couple days ago. Pump has good flow, about 50 gpm, running right now 24 hours a day.

I'm keeping the FC at 12 or above, but the combined chlorine shows as about .2 to .4 still.

I've been waiting for the CC to go to zero, but now I'm thinking it may not. I did shock last year with Potassium Peroxymonopersulfate, but that should be way long gone.

Am I okay, or do I need to keep going?

I also plan to add borates to the pool when this is all done.

Lastly, unless you recommend otherwise, I plan to leave the CH low.

Regards,

Ron Nelson

Hi:

New the the forum, but a long time pool owner (29 years).

16x32 in ground vinyl lined pool (~21K gallons), Seattle, WA area.

Last year I chased combined chlorine, running my CYA up to about 150. I (partially) blame the high CYA it on a dry previous winter, typically we get a lot of rain, which then dilutes the CYA due to lowering the pool. Of course the Pool Store had me shock with stabilized chlorine, and you know what effect that had...

After discovering this forum, I spent the fall/winter getting the CYA level lowered (two partial drainings, followed by letting the winter rain do the rest).

So now I'm at:

CYA ~30

TA 225
CH 26
ph 7.6

I've been SLAMing the pool since Saturday (5 days). It is totally clear (like others have said, I could read a newspaper placed on the bottom of the pool), and I washed the cartridge filter off a couple days ago. Pump has good flow, about 50 gpm, running right now 24 hours a day.

I'm keeping the FC at 12 or above, but the combined chlorine shows as about .2 to .4 still.

I've been waiting for the CC to go to zero, but now I'm thinking it may not. I did shock last year with Potassium Peroxymonopersulfate, but that should be way long gone.

Am I okay, or do I need to keep going?

I also plan to add borates to the pool when this is all done.

Lastly, unless you recommend otherwise, I plan to leave the CH low.

Regards,

Ron Nelson
Welcome, Ron! :wave:

It's about time you stopped lurking! Since June, 2011??? :shock:

You're almost done with the SLAM. Your water is clear and CC is less than .5. My CC goes up sometimes and stays at .5 for weeks and then for whatever reason goes back to nothing for weeks. Just consider it negligible and not worthy of your attention. Run the overnight loss test and be done with it.

You have a vinyl liner, so low Calcium is fine.

And as soon as you pass the overnight test, turn down that pump! It must be costing you a fortune! Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Thanks, I'll check the overnight FC loss tonight. If all is good, I'll set the pump to run 4 hours a day.

During the summer I typically run the pump from late morning to early evening, that way it 1/ Can keep the pool up to temp with swimmers and 2/ filter out the junk that falls in during swimming. I suppose I could back that off some though. I do have a floating pool cover (not now of course) on the pool when it is not in use.

Ron

Richard's gotcha. He is probably waiting to hear from you about the results of your slam before the next steps which are lowering TA and stuff. But just in case you get ahead of yourself, please do not add borates without checking with us first. I love my borates, BUT I waited to add them until certain conditions were met.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. welcome to posting, you lurker! Hahaha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.