Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing sand in filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing sand in filter

How will I know when I need to change the sand and lateral assembly? I have a 16x32 in ground.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing sand in filter

Sand pretty much lasts forever and doesn't need changing unless you were using Baquicil and wish to change to liquid chlorination.

If a lateral breaks, you'll be seeing sand come into the pool from the return jets.

If neither of the above apply, you're fine....a deep cleaning of the sand is recommended though every year.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Borjis is correct. Sand rarely to never needs changing. It occasionally benefits from washing.

Please check this link out: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

No reason to take out 2 million year old sand to replace it with 3 million year old sand!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    No reason to take out 2 million year old sand to replace it with 3 million year old sand!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The 3 million y/o sand is over hyped and over priced. 2 million year old sand works just as well in my pool.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    The 3 million y/o sand is over hyped and over priced. 2 million year old sand works just as well in my pool.
    Too funny Jeff!
    I think y'all have made the point