Equipment Placement relative to pool

Tex599

Mar 10, 2016
Fort Worth tx
We are in the process of building a pool and plumbing is starting. Originally the PB wanted to place the equipment about 6ft off the deck of the pool. After seeing this, I would prefer to have it up closer to the house. The issue is the pool is being builit on a built up slope which is probably 5 to 7 below the house. This would put the pump 5 to 7 feet above the pool. PB mentioned that this could cause a priming issue and pump/oring maintenance would be more important. Wanted to see what you all thought.

They are right that priming could be a little more difficult. But, you should not lose prime unless you open up the system (filter or pump basket cleaning). One option to help with the priming loss is to put a flapper check valve on the suction lines. There is a downside though as this does slightly increase the entrapment risk.

They had mentioned the flapper valve, how does that increase entrapement? I know we will have dual main drains and I take it that they are anti-entrapment. Is this something I need to worry about I have 2 kids ages 10 and 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is the flapper valve placed above ground by the pool equipment or is it underground. It seems this would be something that would have to eventually be replaced.

The check valve should be above ground at the equipment. The good ones (like the Jandy Neverlube) can be rebuilt after many many years.

Having the check valve does not really increase the risk of entrapment, but IF someone were trapped (highly unlikely given the design of the plumbing these days) and you turned off the pump, with the check valve in place, they would not be released and they would still be stuck because the check valve is not allowing water to flow backward.

How about just a regular on / off valve at suction line. That way when you do clean pump basket you can shut valve to keep water from flowing back to pool ( just remember to open when finished ).

Is it posible to put equipment below pool level, would that work Jason?

Thanks Bobby for contributing. Having equipment lower than the pool waterline always enhances priming and water flow to the equipment pad (gravity). In this case however, the poster's situation is that the equipment would be 5-7' "above" the pool, possibly making it more difficult to prime. Since the water can't flow naturally uphill, it's all dependent upon the pump's suction and a good air0tight plumbing system to retain that suction seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.