Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Equipment Placement relative to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Equipment Placement relative to pool

We are in the process of building a pool and plumbing is starting. Originally the PB wanted to place the equipment about 6ft off the deck of the pool. After seeing this, I would prefer to have it up closer to the house. The issue is the pool is being builit on a built up slope which is probably 5 to 7 below the house. This would put the pump 5 to 7 feet above the pool. PB mentioned that this could cause a priming issue and pump/oring maintenance would be more important. Wanted to see what you all thought.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Equipment Placement relative to pool

They are right that priming could be a little more difficult. But, you should not lose prime unless you open up the system (filter or pump basket cleaning). One option to help with the priming loss is to put a flapper check valve on the suction lines. There is a downside though as this does slightly increase the entrapment risk.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

They had mentioned the flapper valve, how does that increase entrapement? I know we will have dual main drains and I take it that they are anti-entrapment. Is this something I need to worry about I have 2 kids ages 10 and 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is the flapper valve placed above ground by the pool equipment or is it underground. It seems this would be something that would have to eventually be replaced.

4. Back To Top    #4

The check valve should be above ground at the equipment. The good ones (like the Jandy Neverlube) can be rebuilt after many many years.

Having the check valve does not really increase the risk of entrapment, but IF someone were trapped (highly unlikely given the design of the plumbing these days) and you turned off the pump, with the check valve in place, they would not be released and they would still be stuck because the check valve is not allowing water to flow backward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

How about just a regular on / off valve at suction line. That way when you do clean pump basket you can shut valve to keep water from flowing back to pool ( just remember to open when finished ).

Is it posible to put equipment below pool level, would that work Jason?
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

6. Back To Top    #6

My equip is approx 4' lower than the pool, priming is never a problem, works good.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Bobby for contributing. Having equipment lower than the pool waterline always enhances priming and water flow to the equipment pad (gravity). In this case however, the poster's situation is that the equipment would be 5-7' "above" the pool, possibly making it more difficult to prime. Since the water can't flow naturally uphill, it's all dependent upon the pump's suction and a good air0tight plumbing system to retain that suction seal.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    Is it posible to put equipment below pool level, would that work Jason?
    I was answering this question.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Doh. I missed that part of the conversation. That's what I get for butting-in.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

On a side note. Having equipment close to pool also help water heaters efficiency.