newbie: just got my test kit and took my first set of readings

Mar 7, 2016
Arlington tx
I've had my chlorine pool uncovered for about 2 weeks now. The water is clear but I've been waiting for my test kit. Got my test kit today and took my first set of readings. All i have done over the winter is to add power powder plus once every 3 weeks and I have kept a chlorine tablet floater in the pool all winter. I still have some chlorine tablets and some of that powder that I want to use up before I start buying the liquid chlorine. According to the laminated instructions that come with the test kit, from what I can tell my readings are good. Take a look and tell me what y'all think and please let me know if there's something that needs corrected.

PH 7.5
CI 5
BR 10
FC 15
CC 0
Calcium 250
TA 100
CYA 45

You CYA is almost to the upper recommended limit for a non-SWG pool. As such, continuing with the addition of the trichlor tablets which is further raising the CYA is not a good idea. Save them for next winter (if your CYA is not too high).

The PPP is adding calcium to your pool, which is also not good if it gets too high. Honestly in TX, I am surprised your CH is as low as you reported, did you use 10ml or 25ml of water for the CH test?

BTW, you do not have bromine (BR) in your pool, no reason to report it. And clearly your chlorine was well above the 5ppm the OTO test reported if the FAS-DPD is showing it at 15ppm.

I agree with Jason. If your water is as hard as many, back-off of the calcium products and stick to regular bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart. Bravo or Great Value will do just fine. Watch your FC consumption after it drops back to your ideal target level. FC loss should be around the 2-4 ppm each day - lower is always better. In the blazing summer, if you need more CYA, you can add a puck or two then, but I'd hold-off for a bit longer. Great job on getting that test kit!

Which kit did you get? I think they have different instructions for the CH test. Just was trying to see if you only multiplied by 10ppm (if you use 25ml) instead of 25ppm (if you use 10ml).

It was probably the 10 lm sample size. That's fine. It's a great kit, and if you ever have any questions about it let us know. HINT: Also refer to the Extended Test Kit Directions on this site for more explanations once you get used to the kit. Great info there. Have a nice evening.

Outstanding! :goodjob:

Just keep that bucket of pucks sealed up and they'll last for years. The Cal-hypo should last a long time, too, if kept dry. Just fight the urge to store the packets of power powder with the pucks. Yes, they'll stay dry and airtight, but those two chemicals can react in their dry state and go boom. This is what happens when you mix Cal-hypo and Trichlor

Read more from the folks who uploaded that video: ACHD - Pool Safety

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.