Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chips on edge of plaster steps

1. Back To Top    #1

chips on edge of plaster steps

on two of my entry steps, I have a small chip on the edge. They are about finger tip size and are through the plaster so the chips look dark. Will such chips continue to degrade and thus grow if not repaired? And is repair a simple DIY effort?

Thanks.
    15000 gallon in-ground concrete pool, plaster finish. 1hp Sta-Rite P6RA6E-205L pump, Sta-Rite 2 cartridge filter, Rheem electric heat pump, no spa or water features.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chips on edge of plaster steps

Depending on the age and condition of your plaster the chips may stay the same for 10 years or start chipping off tomorrow. If you have old plaster that is starting to de-laminate from the gunite it could be a problem.

If you have the skills the time and the money you can do this yourself. The tough part is matching the colors. That is the number one reason to hire someone it to make sure its done correctly and matches.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: chips on edge of plaster steps

Thanks! I see no other issues anywhere else so I'll just monitor it for now.
    15000 gallon in-ground concrete pool, plaster finish. 1hp Sta-Rite P6RA6E-205L pump, Sta-Rite 2 cartridge filter, Rheem electric heat pump, no spa or water features.