AA treatment questions

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Ok guys. Here's the brief back story. I used a few bottles of vitamin c last year in a sock to remove the yellowish tinge/stain from my steps, plastic fittings, and the worst areas of my liner. Everything was fine all summer. I kept all levels in order, with the ph from 7.4-7.8, and the stains never came back. I opened it this year to the same staining everywhere. From what I've read on here I assume the ph went up over the winter as the water temp dropped, and the metal precipitated out staining the pool. I bought a 5lb bag of Ascorbic acid a month ago in anticipation of treating the whole pool at once instead of just areas at a time. I just re-read the AA thread, as well as a handful of other threads on the topic. Here's where my questions come in. The biggest one is, if you do the AA treatment and keep a sequestrant in it, will it still do this over winter, or will the sequestrant prevent it? I don't like to think of myself as cheap, but extremely economical. I don't want to keep dumping sequestrant in all summer if it's just gonna do this again anyway. Next topic is brand of sequestrant. Jacks seems to have a different flavor for everything, and proteam has metal magic. It's cheaper, and if they work the same, then that's the way I'll probably lean. Is one better than the other? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not be answering your question directly but......sequestrants never remove metals from water they simply keep them from precipitating.

Sequestrants "wear out" so replenishment is mandatory.

I have no opinion on brands.

So they are still effective at keeping them in suspension if the ph goes up while the pool is closed? That's what I'm trying to clarify. If I have to do a AA treatment every year, then I see no need in the sequestrant if it won't do its job over the winter.

Kinda dark yellowish, and comes right off with vitamin C. I think that means it's iron. Not really sure why there's iron in it. Maybe corrosion from the ladder? I'm hoping to get it replaced this summer. There was a pool frog system when I moved in nearly two years ago, but it doesn't turn black, then fade like I've read copper does.

I haven't gotten around to doing a full set yet. I've been busy just trying to keep the pollen junk out of it. Ph is 7.5 and fc is 7. Last year the others were ta 60 ch 275 cya 70. They should all be pretty close to that. CYA is probably a little lower after closing and opening, but the others should still be close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
12ffb36e183d2cdba872695266ed1288.jpg

It looks like this picture from the jack's page. Maybe it's more of a brown than a yellow. Mine is just a lighter, even coating of that.

I was just uncertain if the required amount of iron to do this could come from pool ladder corrosion. Other than that, there's no metal anywhere that it could come from. Maybe in the water supply.

You can take a sample by a pool store and have them test for metals. Just got through w an AA treatment last week. Have to keep ph at 7.2 and FC between minimum and max. No higher. if I go higher I start to see staining again and have to use more Jacks. I have this problem every spring but hate the staining so bad I keep dosing with sequestrant each week during the summer, then start all over in the spring. My ladder was corroded so we took it out last year. No idea if that's where the metals came from or not. Metal staining is the worse!! Like a vicious cycle!

Metal is definitely a vicious cycle. You either have to eliminate the source and get it out of your pool or you have to control it. Often neither is easy.

I have the same problem and have also did the AA treatment, used jacks magic and so on. My water has iron in it and thus the stains. I battle it with AA and keep the ph around 7.2. I also really try to avoid having to put water in it from the hose.

It has taken 4 yrs of capturing rain water by letting in fill way up during the spring rains and snow melt and only lowering the level when more heavy rain is expected. I know this may sound a little evolved, but it's working. My stains are not as yellow anymore and it's taking longer before they show up. I still do the AA treatment once a year but I'm using less AA for the same results.

I ordered a quart of Kem-tek poly60 on Amazon for $21, and talked the lady at the local pool store down from $18.95 to $16 a quart for metal magic. Got 5 quarts, and a new seal to go with my new pump motor. Hopefully it'll be running in just a couple minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.