Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you recommend pre-emptively changing the limiter on a brand new Aquarite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you recommend pre-emptively changing the limiter on a brand new Aquarite?

...Or just waiting until /IF it cracked/burnt.

Eg. are the replacement limiters from Digikey (570-1062-ND from Digikey.com) BETTER than what come factory installed on the Aquarite board?

I've ordered two of the above just in case/to have on hand since this is a known problem with the Aquarite...but could actually have my electrician sauder it on/swap it out when he installs the unit if there was any reason to believe the replacements would fare better than original.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would you recommend pre-emptively changing the limiter on a brand new Aquarite?

I think they fixed the problem in their latest design by using a relay to by-pass the in-rush limiter when the cell voltage/current has stabilized. So you may not ever need those spares you bought. Ask user HaywardPool, he would know.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Would you recommend pre-emptively changing the limiter on a brand new Aquarite?

I just had to have both my board replaced on a 2 1/2 year old Aqua Rite and the local rep said they had made major improvements in this area. I would like to know if HaywardPool concurs.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

Matt is correct, they have fixed this issue with the latest design, but I have no idea if you actually have the latest design. I would never replace the limiter without it going bad first. You would void any warranty if you did replace it, and if it does fail within three years Hayward should cover it under warranty.

The new limiters are not a better build quality, the flaw is in the design of the board.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

If it ain't broke...
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, guys, that helps a lot!
    Ping, its brand new, so hopefully this is the last thought I give to it
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains